Thread: Have SRH ...Need holster

Smile Have SRH ...Need holster

I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger from a friend ...now I need a holster. Anybody want to comment or make suggestions on the following so my holster search will be more fruitful?

- Holster Brand (to lust after ...or to avoid!)
    - Holster type (belt, shoulder, guide/chest)
    - Leather or Kydex or ?

My wife carries the shotgun with the slugs and this is just for back-up while camping or berry picking, etcetera. I'm leaning towards a standard leather belt holster, but might consider a shoulder holster (not the conceal carry kind ...the kind that leaves the gun near your hip.) A friend says to get a guide-type holster, the one that carries the gun on your chest near your sternum ...but I don't like things that make me feel 'constrained'. Comments? I'm not too worried about cost, and I value good sense and functionality/utility over anything else. Pretty need not apply.

Thanks a mil!

Brian
    Fox, AK

Default SRH holster

I love well made leather goods, but they have drawbacks in wet climates. I decided on an Alaska Sportsman's chest holster for my 7 1/2" .454 Casull SRH. No, it isn't pretty, more like tactical gear, but they are very rugged and practical. Adjustable enough so that I can position it properly for my needs. Getting mine at Great Northern Guns in Anchorage.

Default Bianchi Cyclone

I have one for my 44 and 454. I think their the only way to go but that's just MHO. I carry the weapon in a cross-draw fassion but it can be carried strong side if you so choose. It's leather, which I prefer for looks as well as functionability. A little neetsfoot oil is all you need for preservative. In the cross-draw fassion it's out of the way but very handy. In this fassion it also serves well if you ride 4wheelers or horses. I've also found that when wearing my ruck which is most the time, it doesn't interfer with the grip. I'm sure you know this but make sure what ever holster you get you wear it on a high quality belt. Many people overlook this item.
    Good luck.
    Sarge
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

...Looking at the prices v. brand v. capabilities, I went with a Galco DAO since I can use it as a cross-draw or strong-side draw (I prefer cross-draw.) I think Galco quality is good enough and it should work OK ...I hope. Bianchi was the other choice that I found but it cost half again as much ($90+ versus the $63 for the Galco). I'll probably post a summary after the holster gets here.

Thanks,

Brian

Default holsters

If you shop around you can beat that 90 dollar price tag easily. I found them as high as $114 but only paid $68 for mine. I'll have to look up who I got it from but it was on the web and it took a lot of looking before I found it that cheap. But they sure are a nice holster..........even at $90. And they're time proven.
    Some people are very satisfied with Uncle Mikes so it really come down to preference. Just remember....like with so many other things--you get what you pay for. And don't forget a good quality belt!!
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by sarge; 07-05-2007 at 16:29. Reason: add more info.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

I have a bandoleer holster from Pistolpackaging.com that worked well before I had my 480 cut down by Wildwest Guns. I could be talked out of it for a good price. It really carried the pistol well for prolonged periods. I'll be out of town until the 21st or so but if you are interested email me. Jim

Does anybody notice the search feature on this website?

I wonder how many hundreds of posts have been made on this subject?

How many times do we need to reinvent the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Does anybody notice the search feature on this website?

I wonder how many hundreds of posts have been made on this subject?

How many times do we need to reinvent the wheel?
    I made the original post. Yes, I used the search engine first. No, I didn't find all of the information that I was looking for. Yes, this thread helped.

Anything else you want to know? Did you have any holster suggestions to make or were you just stopping by to say hello?

Brian

Default Ruger SRH Holstaer

Brian:

Try Rusty Sherrick, for his cross-draw flap covered horsehide holster. Makes a perfect way to carry your new 480 . . . I got one, less than $100, shipped.

He's in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania . . . Google his address and catalog pages!
    Good luck! Jim

Default try www.simplyrugged.com

a week or so ago i ordered a cross-chest holster for a ruger SRH .44 mag. from these guys. they are alaskan-made in the valley. got good write-ups on gunblast.com and have seen gun magazine writers mention him as well.

check them out.

forty below

I use both a shoulder and a hip holster by Uncle Mikes. Very reasonably priced, and being a synthetic material, stands up to the wet real well. I am left handed, and finding good left hand leather is sometimes near impossible. I had a custom leather cross-draw shoulder holster for my .44 Mag Redhawk, but it did not like the wet climate and was just not comfortable once it got wet. I have used the Uncle Mike products for years and still really like them.
    Some don't because they think they are "cheap", but that is not the case at all. They are inexpensive, but wear as well as anything else I have used or seen. Just my opine.......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default SRH holster

I am assuming this is a 7 1/2" barreled SRH like the 454 Casull I have. I am going to have David Johnston at Diamond D holsters in Chugiak make me a "bandoleer" style holster that has a nice wide leather band that is worn over one shoulder and leaves the holster at slightly above belt height. Very comfortable well made at a fair price. Can be reached, I believe at davidjohnstonleather.com

Thumbs down I find...

Uncle Mikes very uncomfortable...the last two years of moose hunting I can really tell I am wearing it, especially right under the back of my neck, boy am I glad to take that thing off at the end of the day...

I have an older model Uncle Mike that was as uncomfortable as anything I have used. The last 2 bought were not that bad, tho. That being said, I am left-handed and the choices are limited, at best.
    As I said, in the wet environment I have used my leather one, I found it to absorb water and get downright heavy after a while. I sure would like to find a comfortable one for sure.....
    The Uncle Mikes wear very well, tho, and do stand up to the weather.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???