Thread: Travel rod and reel advice

Default Travel rod and reel advice

Hi everyone my wife and i will be coming up for the last two weeks of july this year for the first time. We will be staying in palmer and hope to do a lot of hiking and fishing all over. We are from new hampshire and ive bass fished my whole life. I am looking to buy a pair of travel rods and spinning reels that will handle everything. I was looking at the bass pro brand medium heavyweight travel rod and just trying to see if im on the right track? Thanks!

Bass rods generally run short on length. An 8 1/2 footer in 8-17 line rating will work for everything around except kings.
    Check out " Sierra Trading Post" for deals on rods and reels or any gear that you need

the 8-1/2 footer will work for the salmon. if you plan on hiking into some of the lakes to throws some smaller lures for trout a little heavier "panfish" rod will work
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

As noted above, an 8 1/2 footer will work for most salmon. It would be heavy for trout, grayling fishing, though. Something that will work with 4-6 lb test ought to be about right for those.
    READ the regs - they can be complicated and take some time to understand and the rules can change from stream to stream. Another important thing to consider is that when fishing with spin tackle is that many streams are limited to using a "single hook". That means that the treble hooks on most spinning lures needs to be replaced (with a single hook) or 2 of the treble hook barbs need to be removed.
    Good luck & have a great trip.

One thing you could consider is renting some rods while you're up here. Might save you some $$, plus you would know you are getting the right gear. Maybe even consider a guided trip.

We opted to not go for a guided trip to stay in our budget better and i think we will end up doing a little more trout fishing over all. I was looking at the bass rods because i wanna buy something that will be useful back home as well. Will it be too undersized to use say a 7 ft rod for pinks and silvers? If so we may go the rental route and just bring smaller setups for trout. My other idea was if i could get away with 1 rod and reel and set up 2 spools- 1 with some lighter line and the other with say 15lb test for salmon

Quote Originally Posted by jcod47 View Post
    We opted to not go for a guided trip to stay in our budget better and i think we will end up doing a little more trout fishing over all. I was looking at the bass rods because i wanna buy something that will be useful back home as well. Will it be too undersized to use say a 7 ft rod for pinks and silvers? If so we may go the rental route and just bring smaller setups for trout. My other idea was if i could get away with 1 rod and reel and set up 2 spools- 1 with some lighter line and the other with say 15lb test for salmon
    Nothing wrong with your logic. That's exactly how many of us got started here in AK. Fishing isn't supposed to be too technical, it's supposed to be fun

I would buy a couple of Ugly Sticks when you get up to the valley. Head over to Fred Meyers, they have everything you'll need. Three Rivers fishing in Wasilla is worth a visit too.

We use 7"rods for silvers every year.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

A 7" medium action spinning rod will be just fine for silvers and pinks. You don't need the beef stick "tourist specials" you see so much up here. Buy a 3/4000 sized spinning reel and some 15lb line and pick up a handful of #4 vibrax spinners and kodiak customs and you should be set. Just know you can't horse the salmon in like a bass.

shakespeare makes a great break apart 6' and change rod. I used them on russian reds and silvers on the kenai last summer for the first time and they were great! and at $14 and collapsing into 12" sections it was even better!

Well i think we will go with the 7' then because it would be nice back home as well. Will that be too overkill for trout and grayling though? I havent done a ton of trout fishing here and you rarely catch anything big at all. If itll be too big a rod i will look into a small uglystick probly

Well i think we will go with the 7' then because it would be nice back home as well. Will that be too overkill for trout and grayling though? I havent done a ton of trout fishing here and you rarely catch anything big at all. If itll be too big a rod i will look into a small uglystick probly
    good choice (IMHO). My Son and I stumbled onto some 7 1/2' Eagle Claw 4 piece pack rod several years ago. The action is quite good regardless of the size or weight of the fish. We use them on Silvers as well as grayling and any other fresh water species in between..

I've caught humpy's and sockeye's on my Ugly Stik. Not sure what the weight is, but it's the same rod I used for trout and catfish in the lower 48. Seems to work just fine.