Thread: Fairbanks to Farewell Lake?

Question Fairbanks to Farewell Lake?

Does any know the best way to get out to Farewell Lake from Fairbanks? I'm guessing that it would be easier to catch a flight from Talkeetna or McGrath.

Farewell Lake is at 6232'25.8"N 15337'21.8"W

farewell lake.jpg
    =============
    PEAK
    Paranormal Investgations & Research
    http://ParanormalAK.com

I presume you mean during hunting season? Anchorage air taxis routinely run hunters through the pass and that puts every one of them right near Farewell.

Wrights
    Or
    Any carrier to McGrath and mag air to farewell?

I can fly you out there if your landing at the lodge strip. I believe Kathy Frost still owns it so if you are working with them I can help you out.
    907-354-4623

There are no scheduled flights to McGrath out of Fairbanks. You can charter out of Fairbanks. How many people and weight/bulk of stuff would dictate size of plane. Call Wrights...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    There are no scheduled flights to McGrath out of Fairbanks. You can charter out of Fairbanks. How many people and weight/bulk of stuff would dictate size of plane. Call Wrights...
    And on that note if your going to charter from fairbanks don't bother going to MCG, just go to Farewell. But if you need to go to MCG then don't bother with anyone else, just call mag air and Barney will get you out there.

Thanks! I'll check out the various places for prices.
    =============
    PEAK
    Paranormal Investgations & Research
    http://ParanormalAK.com

I've been from Fairbanks to the Farewell area many times. Depends on what you are taking with you, but easiest is usually to fly Ak Air to Anchorage and then walk over to Lake Hood and take off from there. Regal Air has planes on floats or wheels that can get you there, as well as any number of other operators.

Going through Mcgrath works too, but adds a whole additional leg and level of complication to the trip.

Not very difficult to figure out. Going to ANC to charter back North is not logical in many ways. You can find any type flight you might need in Fairbanks. Better flying WX staying on the North side of the AK Range...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Not very difficult to figure out. Going to ANC to charter back North is not logical in many ways. You can find any type flight you might need in Fairbanks. Better flying WX staying on the North side of the AK Range...
    It may not be logical, but that's how it's usually done with a chartered flight. Farewell Lake is about 150-160 miles NW of Anchorage, but 240 miles SW of Fairbanks. All depends on the type of aircraft you are flying and what loads you are carrying, but doing a direct un-refueled flight from Fairbanks to Farewell Lake and back is a long trip for your average float plane. Dogleg to McGrath for gas, the the trip just gets longer. Very true about the weather factor crossing the range though. The Skwentna/Happy River fog has messed with my day more than once.

Bigger, faster, longer range aircraft change the math quite a bit, so it all depends...

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    It may not be logical, but that's how it's usually done with a chartered flight. Farewell Lake is about 150-160 miles NW of Anchorage, but 240 miles SW of Fairbanks. All depends on the type of aircraft you are flying and what loads you are carrying, but doing a direct un-refueled flight from Fairbanks to Farewell Lake and back is a long trip for your average float plane. Dogleg to McGrath for gas, the the trip just gets longer. Very true about the weather factor crossing the range though. The Skwentna/Happy River fog has messed with my day more than once.

Bigger, faster, longer range aircraft change the math quite a bit, so it all depends...
    She is in Fairbanks, don't forget the mileage from Fairbanks to Anchorage to Farewell. Not to mention the time involved with going to Anchorage taking a charter from Anchorage and then having to take a charter back to Anchorage when you are done! So simple math says a 480 mile charter from Fairbanks is a lot less time and effort.