Thread: Looking to purchase for a friend, Vacmaster 112,120,210,215???

Default Looking to purchase for a friend, Vacmaster 112,120,210,215???

I have a friend who just bought a new house in Anchorage and me and another buddy want to get him a nice house warming gift. Of course he is taking us both on another caribou hunt this August on the haul road, so it is also a little payback.

I have been looking at the Ary Vacmaster chamber vacuum sealers. I have had mixed experiences with Food savers and I know he needs something alot better than those types. I have researched the 4 different models(112,120,210,215) online and they all seem good, but the 215 has an oil pump compared to the rest that have a dry pump. Any one that much better than the others? Of course of the 4 the 215 is probably the best as it is the highest cost, more features.

If anyone has any insight or preferences, I would appreciate some guidance. Also where would be a good place to buy one in Anchorage. I can buy online and have it shipped to his door, but the shipping, which I am sure you are aware of, is almost cost prohibitive compared to buying local.

Thanks
    Mark

Alaska Butcher Supply in Anchorage is the place to buy one locally.
    With the oil pump model you can also do the mylar bags for retort canning. That is canning in a pouch instead of a can or jar.
    But they do require annual oil changes.My understanding is the oil changes are not that bad though.
    The oilless pumps cannot do the mylar bags. I'm sure there are a few other minor differences as well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

After using a Foodsaver for years and grew increasingly frustrated with my results, last year purchased the VM215 from Costco. Wow! What a difference. Wish I would have done it a decade ago. Did lots of halibut, salmon, rockfish, a blackbear, ducks, spruce hens, and part of a moose with it since last July. It sits on a small table under its plastic sheet cover next to the sink in the garage. It takes about 60 seconds to ready for use at any time. I no longer think twice to break it out for any use, any time.
    You want to go with the oil pump model. You won't regret it. I think I paid $899 for it but it was available thru (Amazon?) for a hundred bucks less. I bought a couple extra boxes of bags in two diff sizes. I use both of the sizes, product dependent.
    Go for it. Awesome product.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

We went though many suction models over the years until like Cod, we purchased a 215 at Costco last year. What a difference! Can't believe we waited so long.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wish I had friends like you! I'm still at the wishful thinking stage when it comes to buying a vacuum chamber sealer. Until my Foodsaver gives up the ghost I'll just limp along. If you get a chance, read some of the old threads on these units. A search on Vacmaster will give a lot of hits. You (or more likely your friend) should give some thought to where and how the sealer will be set up. This post by AK Ray mentions some helpful pointers about the VP 112.

Thanks all on the pointers on the sealers. The 215 seems to be the most popular and recommended by Alaska Butcher Supply for the price. Double the money for a Minipack MVS31X for one of the best, but at $2300 the 215 looks good. The advantage of the 215 is the oil pump as the lady at Alaska butcher said the oil needs to be changed often, especially with fish. Not sure how all that works but I took her word for it. They are cheaper down here but I still have to get it to AK and he could probably use it soon for fish. Thanks again and any more info is good

The people Alaska Butcher are great people.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

$999.99 at Costco.

I have the 112 and if I were to buy another it would be the larger model. I have found it take a bit longer to cycle and it is not quite as heavy duty as the larger box model.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

We ended up getting the Vacmaster 215 from Cabela's. They were on sale but out of stock when I first called them. They said they would call me back, and sure enough they did. I paid for one and had Grant go pick it up. Needless to say he was thrilled. In June he went halibut fishing and had good luck so was able to utilize the Vacmaster, big time!!! Thanks for your advise. BTW, I tried to get one through Costco and they wouldn't let me pay then have Grant pick up. I told them they lost a sale, but that was their policy. Cabelas was $50 cheaper when on sale. Here is a pic of the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Of course he is taking us both on another caribou hunt this August on the haul road, so it is also a little payback.
    Wonderful housewarming gift....I'm sure your friend is tickled pink! As far as the hunt, are you going with stick and string, or making the hump in...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Oh this year we are going on a float plane, flying out from 70 miles south of Deadhorse. Not sure which direction. Driving up there from Anchorage. Been twice with bow and did get one caribou. Seemed to be more traffic and hunters along the haul road last year. We won't have to worry about traffic this year.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Oh this year we are going on a float plane, flying out from 70 miles south of Deadhorse. Not sure which direction.
    Probably the direction of the caribou.......lol

Good luck and have fun...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!