Thread: 1854 river sled seems sluggish

Default 1854 river sled seems sluggish

Just got a 1854 welded John boat. It's made by a company called oquawaka. And it's custom so I don't have specs for it. I did send the company a request for info. It's covered in aluminum diamond plate and seems to be a real heavy Guage aluminum throughout. The bottom of the boat seems real thick. Handling it at the dock also gave me the impression that it's a pretty heavy boat. It's powered by a new 90/65 4 stroke Yamaha jet and the impeller looks great.. With me and my kids I about need to run 3/4 throttle to plane niceley. So not much power to spare. This boat does have sharp keels running down its width. I'm wondering if I should cut those back. Maybe air is the problem?

okay I came home and took some pictures. I was going off memory haha. Turns out that center keel is cut short 4 feet from the stern. The other two are full length though. The jet foot seems right. Motor was mounted by Deweys. What's a boat setup like this supposed to run at? I forgot my GPS the other day. It seemed fast enough but just disappointed so much throttle is needed to cruise and without any kind of load in it. Also whats that bracket on my starboard side on the stern? Is that just to mount a transducer to?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you know what the boat package weighs?
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Do you know what the boat package weighs?
    I have an email in to the builder to see if they know. But comparing other makes of boat in simular configuration I'm thinking in the 8-9 hundred pound range. Then add 400 for the engine. And yep I'm getting close to max payload for power as recommended by outboard jet which is about 1900 pounds. Then I calculated that probably 300 pounds of that is just the diamond plate floor and forward deck

You have found the limits of a 65 hp jet on a heavy fairly narrow boat. It is probably good for some fishing and lighter loads. I ran into the same issue on my 20'koffler with 59" bottom, it Is built like a tank and takes a lot of power to plane vs my friends sea ark with the 7' wide bottom. I've learned to pack lighter and enjoy what it can do without maxing it out.

What if I added some float pods in the back?

Water logged flotation under the deck?

Quote Originally Posted by fishslayer View Post
    You have found the limits of a 65 hp jet on a heavy fairly narrow boat. It is probably good for some fishing and lighter loads. I ran into the same issue on my 20'koffler with 59" bottom, it Is built like a tank and takes a lot of power to plane vs my friends sea ark with the 7' wide bottom. I've learned to pack lighter and enjoy what it can do without maxing it out.
    I think you nailed it with this comment above.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

The builder emailed me back. I didn't get a weight but he said the hull is .190 thick and the diamond plate is 1/8". So it's hull is nearly twice as thick as any major Jon hull out there. I don't think it's water logged. Just a real heavy boat.

Ran the boat some more after I moved the console. Much better. Also talked to a g3 1860 owner and we compared notes. My boat gets about the same performance. We have the same motor too. I guess when I stepped into an 80hp engine I thought it was gonna fly.