Thread: Prop dings.....

Default Prop dings.....

Not wanting to derail the other prop discussion, I also have a question about props....

I have heard that running with a nicked up or dinged prop can tear up the lower unit. I would imagine this is true due to severe vibration an out of balance prop causes? But how much of a ding to the prop does it take to do this? I mean, can you run with a couple small nicks in the prop and not have to worry or will any damage to a prop have potential to cause problems fairly soon? How much damage to the prop can be allowed before needing to be replaced?

Thanks...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've never had any problem running dinged up props, as long as all blades on the prop are fairly well damaged evenly. Although in all honesty we did blow a lower unit by continuing to run with a prop that was only damaged on one blade of a 3 bladed prop.

I've run some pretty bad props longer than I probably should have, and never lost a lower unit. Seems like you can feel when it's real bad - the motor just sounds different and sometimes starts to shimmy. Crazy how much a small ding can affect your top end. Also crazy how you can run a crap prop through all sorts of skinny water and never hit bottom, but the day you get a new one you find rocks...

With the money you guys have invested in motors i'd want a true running props on them. I've dressed up my duoprops with a file and ball peen hammer but changed them as soon as possible. Can't be to good for seals and those close tolerence gears sets.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have 4 props for my boat and keep a second on the boat in case it's needed.
    Lots of granite to hit in my area and even when you know where you're going it just takes a second looking at the sonar to hit that one shoal because you drifted 20' off course.

I usually end up with a dinged prop or two every year and replace them right then and there if required or I'm on a long trip.

I run several different boats, but the ones that take the most abuse are the skiffs. Hitting the beach wide open is hard on props Usually smoke a prop or two every year, but I've ran hours and hours with as much as half a blade missing, and those motors rarely have a perfect prop on them. Mostly lower HP (55-65hp) and all short hops, but high rpms on low pitch props. We have cracked lower units, burnt up powerheads, sunk them and even watched one motor hop right off the back of the boat, but to my knowledge we haven't lost a lower due to using dinged up props. It's probably because I check or change the lower fluid at least twice a decade... Just kidding I shoot for once a year but that never happens. Our motors get the crap beat out of them but they get relatively low hours.

I'm sure the high HP motors are a completely different ballgame. I dinged the SS prop on the 225 several years ago in Harrison Bay and you guys are making feel like I need to replace it...

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    With the money you guys have invested in motors i'd want a true running props on them. I've dressed up my duoprops with a file and ball peen hammer but changed them as soon as possible. Can't be to good for seals and those close tolerence gears sets.
    Very well said! even grinding off the spurs will make a difference. A prop is a little bit like a tire......if its out of balance it
    will create other problems.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Can they repair stainless same as aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Can they repair stainless same as aluminum?
    Yes they can.
    Had my High 5 prop redone this winter.

Anyone repairing props in the Anchorage area anymore? A while back their was a place on old Seward think they have been closed for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    Anyone repairing props in the Anchorage area anymore? A while back their was a place on old Seward think they have been closed for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A1 Propeller & Impeller Repair off of Potter Drive. He is located just off of Dowling and Potter. Mike does a great job at an affordable price.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Great thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk