Thread: Mothers Day King

Default Mothers Day King

My wife's special request for Mothers Day was king salmon fishing. But since the big day's weather forecast stinks, we ventured out yesterday. Nice day, and we came home with her first entry into this year's king derby. At 37.5" and 32.5# it won't be in the winner's circle, but there are a bunch of cash prized for randomly drawn lengths. We caught some others, but that first of the day was the real winner.

Her request for a special Mothers Day Dinner? Fresh king salmon collars grilled with a little alder smoke. How can you beat that!

Happy Mothers Day for a happy wife!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice, but tell Jan she can do better.....that's a small one for her!
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

So true! She does have a certain rep. She called this one the ice breaker!

Default Cool. Awesome Mother's Day gift!

So cool. Looks like she is a very happy mom!

Nice fish, we were out all weekend, 100miles round trip on Saturday during the tournament, lots of fish but not what I'm use to this time of year. Yesterday was good, clients were real happy. Tell Jan I said happy Ma's day.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

They're real scattered around town. You had to hunt hard and when you found them they were in tight quarters. Had to really work at them when you found them too, especially while avoiding cod. Gave a dozen cured herring to a buddy who had gone through all his herring (three trays) in three hours and was headed for home. He eventually dug two smallish kings out of the little holes.

Ya, I was in your back yard last night working my holes there, no bait though, this early season is messing timing up I think. I haven't had a cod problem yet though. But I was getting Pollock in water shallower than I've ever seen before.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    But I was getting Pollock in water shallower than I've ever seen before.
    Oh yeah. We got a pollack so big I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a good sized cod. So big that we got three hearty meals off the fillets and still had leftovers! Far side of 10#, and it came from only 15' of water.

Sorry to miss the derby, but too far to trailer the boat to town, then motor back across the bay to home waters. I hear reports of lots of fun.

We had a blast man, 37 boats, first place was $4200, big fish was $1400, lot of fun. There as a drone flying around doing video in the morning for the shotgun start. Most everyone wanted me to set one up for halibut of kings in July again.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Are the results of the Salmon Slam online? i looked, but couldn't find it. We fished that day, but i am not good enough to donate $200.

There should be an article running it today's paper. I keep meaning to post it up but my time at home has been crazy.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com