Thread: Drone fishing

Default Drone fishing

It's that time of year - before the interior graylings are dispersed for the summer you're bound to run into other anglers, which inevitably means seeing a lot of unsportsmanlike behavior. But, as crappy as some of it is, I don't think I've ever seen such unsportsmanlike fishing as what's in this video. I'm good with shooting those suckers out of the sky.

Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

The can of worms that those things have opened has only just been cracked imo.....shoot away says I !....

I have to agree. I would file that as an unethical advantage. However on the east coast they allow spotting with an airplane and harpooning tuna. To me it's not a sport at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akfisherman View Post
    I have to agree. I would file that as an unethical advantage. However on the east coast they allow spotting with an airplane and harpooning tuna. To me it's not a sport at all.

harpooning tuna isn't sport, it's commercial fishing. Just like using spotter planes for commercial herring fishing in SE AK.

I certainly do not condone this style of drone fishing.
    I suppose using drones to get your line out there then dropping it might be OK.
    I guess this comes with any new technology. People find ways to start pushing the limits of it's use.
    I know here in AK they are illegal for hunting purposes.
    I also feel if they are filming me they should have my permission.
    I understand there are plenty of legit uses for these things but where do we draw the line on their use?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Looks pretty cool to me.

That was a cool video clip and as much as I hate Drones you have to admit two guys with a stick and a drop in the middle of the Ocean is work. As some know I have recently left AK after 20 plus years and hiding in the lower 48 for now couple of commitments "family" and such. I look at it this way after spending some quality time on the water with family and all the gadgets being used here i.e. fish finders, flash finders, 3D finders, live video camera feeds that go down up to 120 feet in the water and Ariel mapping not to mention Biomass studies and Sonar Maps on every piece of viable water (available in color)! Rock on with the Drone Drop it is no different than any other technology that is current being used just about every place we go. Of course of some Nugget buzzes me when I am on a stream or lake I will take full advantage of possibly having some target practice but open oceans huge beach out of over open water as long as it is within the limits of the regs set forth who am I or who are we to say what is not challenging about fishing in such a method.

As always I have said tooooooo Much but hey!

Tight Lines peeps. ML Have a great Chena Season this year eh!

RMM

Quote Originally Posted by akfisherman View Post

Of course its not "sport". Its called COMMERCIAL fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    That was a cool video clip and as much as I hate Drones you have to admit two guys with a stick and a drop in the middle of the Ocean is work. As some know I have recently left AK after 20 plus years and hiding in the lower 48 for now couple of commitments "family" and such. I look at it this way after spending some quality time on the water with family and all the gadgets being used here i.e. fish finders, flash finders, 3D finders, live video camera feeds that go down up to 120 feet in the water and Ariel mapping not to mention Biomass studies and Sonar Maps on every piece of viable water (available in color)! Rock on with the Drone Drop it is no different than any other technology that is current being used just about every place we go. Of course of some Nugget buzzes me when I am on a stream or lake I will take full advantage of possibly having some target practice but open oceans huge beach out of over open water as long as it is within the limits of the regs set forth who am I or who are we to say what is not challenging about fishing in such a method.

As always I have said tooooooo Much but hey!

Tight Lines peeps. ML Have a great Chena Season this year eh!

RMM
    That's how it's a slippery slope. Every time we create new technology, we find a way to justify its application by stating the use of previous technologies that were also morally questionable. When does it end? When the resource is depleted. In the mean time, we become more morally displaced that each step becomes easier to allow and the younger the generation the less the drive to maintain the "old ways".
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Completely unethical. I'd like to develop some sort of drone downing net I could fire from a launcher.

Right, it's pretty clear that we're always struggling to find a balance between enjoying/exploiting our resources on the one hand and destroying them on the other, and I think the fact that this combines scouting and fishing in one gizmo puts it on the wrong side of that line. He's able to find fish he wasn't able to find before and deliver a line to them that he'd be unable to cast himself. If there were assurances that it wouldn't impact the tuna population it'd be nobody's business but his own (assuming that he's not getting in anybody else's hair while doing this) but we don't have that assurance.

I hope all is well. We had a freakishly warm spring and are getting ready for a gnarly fire season, but as always there are no bad days on the river.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Here in AK we do not allow drones for hunting.
    One can assume spotting game with one is the main reason why.
    This is quite similar in that the angler spots the fish from the air and also delivers the bait from the air directly to the fish.
    Fish he could not see or have known were there using his own eyes or other senses. And it was delivered with precision.
    I do not find these drones similar enough to fish finders,sonar or other commonly used fishing electronics.
    They certainly are in a category of their own IMHO. At least when used this way.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

oh I agree honestly do, not a drone fan by any means.

I am going to go out on a limb and sorry for doing so. I will make the assumption that this video was shot in HI and that were chasing Tuna to sell versus going out in a Kayak "yes" like seen on fishing shows with Sonar and fishing for Tuna for sell. I do not believe in this case Ethics are not in question you either catch some tuna and sell it our you don't. Both a commercial fishing folks fishing in the allowable commercial harvest methods available to them. Again not a fan just do not have a problem with people using the available technology with in the given Law to accomplish a given task. Again Assumptions on my part.

As long as it is not illegal by ones state being Ethically right or wrong based on our opinions I do not have a huge problem with it.

When we look back or someone does years from know unfortunately fishing with a drone may be considered barbaric as a crude and cruel method of harvesting fish but compared to some other current ways I would rather see that video than the 10,000 hooks in the backs of Sockeye you see on the Kenai. If we are talking ethics and teaching lessons we could start in our own back yard and clean up a little prior to worrying about a couple of people using drones versus thousands of people intentionally harming Sockeye and yelling fishing on.

Think about it 1000 people on the Beach on the mouth of the Kenai flying there drones out to the open Inlet dropping there flies or lures out and actually having a Sockeye hit it. Catch there 3 or 6 or whatever the limit is at the time the rest of them get to come into the river without having a half dz hooks in their backs. We use to call those fish Rainbow Reds only worry about bears and eagles and or stream bank degradation.

Yep Yep Yep Slippery Slope. As stated not a fan, do not care for them Sam I am but looking at the overall biggest picture possible really do not have a problem with it shown in its current application. Maybe the guy could not afford a Kayak, fish finder and car to carry the kayak with, or a commercial fishing boat or afford to take several deep sea fishing charters all which seem to be acceptable and ethical manners of fishing although all use technology that most might not be able to afford.

Tight Lines to all. I am going Morel picking and then launch my Lund with electric start, power tilt and trim and turning my fish finder on, with my lake chip maps and Department of Natural Resources dipping samples of the most productive areas, Then using my GPS to mark the best fishing while using my $400.00 G Loomis Bass rod with line counter reel loaded with spider wire, and a plastic spoke with rattle and spinner blade, and then getting on my Cell phone to call my friends to let them know the fishing is hot at Peach Lake and then coming back to the Michigan outdoor Forum and posting the lures I used and pictures of the fish.

Like said early on I get the ethics part but it is just a video with a couple of people using the available legal method of harvest in the area they are in. We should not judge them for what they are doing which is only using what is available and legal. Do I like it nope however I will not Judge them if they do not judge me.

I Have family on the east coast (actually on the beach). fishing there is completely different. the fish densities are much lower, but the fish are more ready to strike IMO. also big fish rarely come close to shore (close in this case is a mile from the beach I've fished 60-80 miles out a few times). Plus fish are pretty easy to spot from a boat (baitfish jumping seagulls, easy to see). so what I'm saying is I highly doubt that this drone gave these people an advantage over someone with a $50,000 boat (they can cover much more ground then some guys on shore with a drone). I think its pretty silly to call what they are doing "unethical" from a state where people "line" fish, Dip net fish, and snag fish.