Thread: Alaska Bicycle Laws

Default Alaska Bicycle Laws

Alaska Bicycle Laws:
    http://www.dot.state.ak.us/stwdplng/...laska_Laws.pdf

State Of Alaska Bicycle Law Summary:
    There are several laws that govern how we ride a bicycle on a roadway. Here are a few important points to remember:
    ⇒ Ride on the right side of roadways.
    ⇒ Ride with traffic.
    ⇒ Use signals to turn,slow, and stop.

⇒ Obey all traffic signs and signals.
    ⇒ Give pedestrians the right-of-way.
    Remember Alaska bicycle laws require you to follow the same traffic laws as a motorized vehicle.

Thanks for this thread mudbuddy. 'Tis the season...

A couple tips for both cyclists and drivers.

1) be careful around parallel parking on the roadside. As a cyclist you need to protect yourself against somebody opening a door directly into your path. Tinted rear windows make it hard to tell whether or not the car you are passing has a person in the drivers seat. Just accept that the person getting out of the car will NEVER look for you on a bicycle. I'm an avid cyclist and even I don't do a good enough job of checking for cyclists when I open my car door. As a driver, be aware that the cyclist who is riding on the shoulder is likely to move 4 feet into the driving lane when he/she is passing parallel parked vehicles. I signal my intention by pointing at the ground next to me before I shift from the shoulder to the lane.

2) It's dangerous to pass stalled traffic at an intersection, and to proceed through the intersection. Dangerous, but legal. As a cyclist, realize that when you do this you are being un-predictable to drivers and that drivers who are turning right at the intersection in your direction of travel or who are turning left at the intersection across your lane of travel don't see you. Proceed carefully with that knowledge.

3) In Anchorage, there is seldom a good reason to ride on busy roads. Our paved greenbelt systems and dedicated bike corridors are generally adequate to get you where you need to go without riding on Northern Lights, Debarr, Muldoon, 5th/6h Avenue, Arctic, Old/New Seward Highway, etc. Exceptions are the Spenard Area and Elmore. Use Google Maps to find recommended bicycle routes. If you are going east-west, north of International Airports strongly consider using Campbell Creek Trail, Chester Creek Trail or the Ship Creek Trail. North-South is more challenging.

4) cyclists need to respect stop signs. No, I don't stop. But, I slow down to at least 5 mph, and I yield to other traffic exactly like if I was driving. I have found that the best way to inform other drivers that I am treating the stop sign as if I was a driver is to unclip one of my feet from the pedals and drag it on the ground. When I stop, I find that a trackstand confuses the heck out of a driver. Just put your foot down.

As for the drivers, be patient with us cyclists. In the winter time, I think it's reasonable to expect that cyclists follow traffic laws and act predictably. But, as the weather improves you are going to see a bunch of people out on their bikes that ride 50 miles a year and basically have barely a clue as to what they are doing. Just take a deep breath when the do something crazy and be glad that they did it with 40 lb of steel, not 4,000 pounds.

Some good points HD !!!

In general, the Valley drivers are real courteous ,
    always one or 2 AHs out there though.
    I don't acknowledge them or their comments

Be Extra careful at trail intersections when riding the non-motorized paths along the roads when it's on your left side,
    drivers pulling out rarely look to the right,
    Happened on my street last year, the biker had serious injuries to her & her bike was totaled. Trooper said biker was at fault,

In general, I'm more comfortable & feel safer on the right side shoulder. I use a Blinking red tail light
    The paved paths with few intersections like up the Parks HWy kinda nice when riding with others & can side by side.