Thread: Brain Teaser

Talking Brain Teaser

Deer can drop under an arrow real fast .Some body said in less the thee seconds .Now Elk can also drop .But how fast ? Taken in Size or mass and Weight being factor,s.

Talking Elk are deer

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Deer can drop under an arrow real fast .Some body said in less the thee seconds .Now Elk can also drop .But how fast ? Taken in Size or mass and Weight being factor,s.
    If a deer dropped under an arrow in "less than three seconds". This would be the,,,, well let's just say every deer like him would get a medal. In other words.... he's frickin' slow.

Figuring on an average conservative compound bow speed of 250 fps. That arrow traveled 10 yards in .12 seconds. Taking into consideration this arrow is slowing down as it goes downrange you can't figure .24 seconds for 20 yards, and so on. So, because I don't want to do the math... I'll say .5 seconds to 20 yards and 1 second to 40 yards. Seems about right...

So how fast can an Elk drop?????? The same speed as the "deer" since elk are deer also. You just have a bigger kill zone to land the arrow in.

O.K. I give.... I know there is a simple answer to this but I've drank beer...
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

I guess this is what they call the deer jump the string. AKndres is right if it takes the deer 3 seconds to react to the sound of the bow, that deer is a slow poke. I have seen hunting videos where the hunter missed the deer and when the shot is played back in slow motion you can see the deer squat and the arrow goes over the back. Thatís why bow company tries so hard to make the bow as quiet as possible. Does deer are lighting fast.

Rough Approximate.If i said 1/1000 of a seconded ,I would have caused WW3 .This way if I am wrong at lest I played is safe .

too many varibles .but i can tell you an elk 15 yards away can move down and foreward approx 15 inches with an arrow moving 180 fps too late ....you do the math
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER