Thread: One auger powerhead for earth and ice?

Default One auger powerhead for earth and ice?

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I don't see anything really addressing my question. I'm wondering if folks are able to utilize different augers for ice fishing and earth work using the same powerhead. My problem is that I'm inherently cheap and if I can make do with one tool for two jobs that makes sense to me. So is it feasible, or better yet does anyone have success stories?

If you look at the powerhead for the Eskimo Mako 43cc ice auger and the Earthquake 43cc earth auger, they use the same gas engine and look almost identical. Which considering that both brands are owned by Ardisam is no surprise. It occurs to my simple caveman mind that I could have a single powerhead and use the appropriate auger extension when needed. My immediate need is for doing some characterization of our property this summer, to determine where we may have sand and gravel, and what the soil conditions are at the potential cabin location. If I buy an Earthquake powerhead and auger blade this summer, later this winter I should be able to put an Eskimo ice auger blade on it and do some fishing on the lake. Right?

It's just a rotating shaft, should work fine. I've even drilled dirt with my ice auger and an old set of blades. Worked surprisingly well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

No sooner do I post than I actually find some info on the Earthquake web site.

https://www.getearthquake.com/FAQ
    I purchased an 8 inch auger. Can I use the blade that is on it for ice and dirt or do I need to purchase a different blade?
    You should purchase a different blade for dirt. Please call customer service 1-800-345-6007.
    Earth auger and the ice auger bits are completely separate. An earth auger bit has one smooth edged blade. An ice auger has two blades that are razor sharp and made from stainless knife steel. They are not interchangeable.

Does earthquake make ice auger bits for their earth augers

Earthquake does make auger bits for earth augers for use as ice auger bits, however the motors are set up for summer use and will be hard starting in winter.
    Earth auger and the ice auger bits are completely separate. An earth auger bit has one smooth edged blade. An ice auger has two blades that are razor sharp and made from stainless knife steel. They are not interchangeable. An earth auger powerhead (engine and transmission) can be used to drive both the ice auger and earth auger bits, however ice auger powerheads are designed to start in very low temperatures. Earth auger powerheads will not start as well in the cold.

As a rule of thumb; if you only fish 2 or 3 times a month, you will probably be ok with the hard starting of the earth auger powerhead. If you fish 2 or 3 times a week or more, then you will not be happy with the hard start and should purchase an ice auger powerhead.

If I go this route I think I will purchase an ice auger and then get an earth auger bit. That way I can enjoy the benefits of easy starting in the cold.

It is easy to screw an auger right into the ground to the point you will have to dig it out. Don't ask me how I know this.
    My dad owns an auger with a huge McCulloch power head on it. Weighs a ton. You have to hang on to that baby. It will send you on a circus ride if it hangs up. Probably built in the late 50's early 60's.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Ice augers ?? RPM of power shaft is faster, than the earth auger, Ice auger shaves the ice where the earth auger digs , the transmission on the earth is a lot stronger , but they will work [ cutting part of the augers are different ] I don't think the ice auger will last very long is being used to dig earth
    as I said the transmission' are some different , but for a few holes in soft ground go for it, [ I did 10 TIMES on a fence ]
    ROCKS ????
    SID

I'm sure there are augers where the earth one turns slower than the ice powerhead. However for the E43 powerhead for the Earthquake looks like it has the same gearing as for the Eskimo, 30:1.

I'm looking at my sagging cedar fence here at home and thinking I may need to put an auger to use sooner rather than later. There will likely be rocks at the house, it's unknown what's at my remote property.

I have a Jiffy auger. Jiffy makes an earth auger as an accessory.

http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/...er,3669,19.htm

I bet what you're looking at will work.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans