Thread: 375 hh bullet thought ?

Default 375 hh bullet thought ?

I am going to shoot a black bear at around 25 yards my 375hh is currently loaded with 350 grain woodlieghs psp at 2400 fps this is a very tough bullet and on a black bear may act like a solid should i use a 300 nosler partition instead since it will potentially open up more.

I would probably use something in the 270 grain variety. I reload with 270 grain TSX and really like them.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Not necessarily the same thing, but I have dropped ~7 Bull moose all over 45in over the years In one shot with 250 Grain Remington Core-Lokt. Never have shot a bear with that though..

I killed a brown bear last year with the 270gr TSX.
    That's the first animal I've taken with a Barnes.
    I'd never hunt a big bear with anything else! I was extremely impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so sure anything loaded into a .375 won't work on a black bear at that range. A partition or Accubond would be my pick, but that's really my pick for anything in recent years regardless of range or cartridge.

Your Woodleigh may not expand, but that's still a very big hole that will certainly exit.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My thinking is expanding bullets with more shock these are not real big black bears so I think even the barnes 270 might be to tough

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    My thinking is expanding bullets with more shock these are not real big black bears so I think even the barnes 270 might be to tough
    Any of the standard cup and cores (Corelokt, Hot Cor) or a Partition will give you some expansion and almost certainly exit. This isn't a particularly challenging shooting scenario of the .375- just poke Yogi through the front end and let nature do the rest.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

You could also use a Hornady 270 interlock.

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

A few years ago I shot a small black bear with a 286 grain partition in my 9.3 x 62. Ballistically the 9.3 and the 375 are pretty similar. Similar velocities and the 9.3 is a 366 caliber. The partition worked as it should and the bear didn't make it 15 feet from where I shot her. That being said I wished I had used my 30-06 or taken a neck shot with the 9.3. There was a tremendous amount of damage to the front quarters. I think the 375 will be a little overkill unless you're talking about a big prince of Wales black bear, but just my thoughts on it. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is overkill i have a friend hunting from missouri and because there are browns he wants to carry the biggest gun i have. I offered an 06 or 350 mag and he wants bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    It is overkill i have a friend hunting from missouri and because there are browns he wants to carry the biggest gun i have. I offered an 06 or 350 mag and he wants bigger.
    I don't blame him for that. I have seen black bears killed with a 357 mag. The 270 interlock will leave a softball size hole on the opposite side. I hit a whitetail once with the 375 at 30 yards with one. It's neck was missing, so was it's right front shoulder and a piece of the right side. A small strip of fur kept it's head from being detached. No one can put a size amount on a person's piece of mind.

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Overkill? What does that mean? You kill something to dead?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Overkill? What does that mean? You kill something to dead?
    Ha, those little 375's!!! Just a step below a 416. Right Jake? Ruark said use enough gun, so carry on with the 375