Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kodiak success

Default kodiak success

kodiak 2.jpg
    Had an amazing bear hunt this spring. Too much fun to put into words.
    If you have never done this before put it on your bucket list. Just watching the
    bears is an experience I will never forget.
    Squared 9'4". 26" skull. 8 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice bear........congratulations. Looks like Frazer Lake country.

Hey ELK, congrats, that's what I live for, pictures and stories of Kodiak Bears. Nice going.

I was gonna guess Akalura...

I was gonna guess a brushy spot

Did you use the iron sights or was the scope
    Off
    Going in the brush to check him? Congrats, love the pack out picture! Don't see enough of those kinda photos anymore.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Iron sights.

Awesome, congratulations!

Love that you used iron sights. Shot distance? Caliber?

Congrats on a great bear. I have also fallen in love with hunting and helping others with these great bears. I kinda wonder if my son and I saw that same bear last fall while leaving camp to hike up to the goats above the lake. We kicked a huge, beautifully colored bear out of his bed just above the cottonwoods. I told my son "remember that bear, you won't see many better than him, guys dream of those bears, he'll be 10' next year."
    Good show elkarcher. Let's hear a brief story.

Congratulations! Great bear and an experience, sounds like it was go-time with iron sights. Let's hear the story around it if you can, always good to hear.

It felt too close after the way he took 3 300 grain 338 rounds

Looks like a beaut - well done!

I'm not much of a story teller. I could talk your ears off about the hunt but words are hard to find to do it any justice. But here goes.
    Our first night in we set up camp and caught some fish and did some glassing. Found him and a sow and 2 Cubs and watched till dark. Watched him for a few days as well as the same sow and Cubs and also another sow with 3 Cubs. When we finally were able to make sure that he was in fact the boar we were after it was our last day before pick up and we had decided to hunt closer to camp that morning. When we found him again we were literally mile out and had to air up the zodiac to get to where we needed to be . So we left a guy to keep eyes on him and headed off the mountain to take care of the zodiac and flagged him down as soon as we were able to get him in our glass from the boat. Before we headed out we watched him disappear in the alders so we headed out when we were sure he had bedded down.
    Then the waiting game started. We sat across the lake from where we had last seen him for about 8 hours before we finally decided to go try to call him out with a varmint call. Called for 10 minutes and nothing. (I'm not upset about it. That's pretty dang spooky. ) anyway nothing. So back across the lake to our little glassing nob we went. Another hour goes by and out he comes not 80yards from where we were calling. Soooo back across the lake we head. After a 3 second window and no good shot opportunity he vanished again. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. Once your on the hill you have been glassing the visibility is not that great. Sooooo back across the lake we head again. At this point we figured that it was a hell of a hunt and the experiences we had were well worth the trip and we were ready to head back to camp. For whatever reason we decided to head back over one more time. On our way he popped out.
    This was it. At not much more than 100 yards the first good shot I got connected hard. And with a stroke of luck he ran into 2 more openings stopping in each one. Giving me the chance to put 2 more in him. When he finally went down I lost it. Couldn't keep my emotions together. It's been a long time in the making and a dream of mine since I first started hunting. I laughed and cried and jumped up and down like a little girl smiling the whole time before my buddies tackled me to the ground and joined in. It is something I will never forget and the feeling is something you can't explain. If your thinking about it , do it.

Thanks for the story. Again congratulations.

Yes it is. Very unique color pattern on this guy. He has it all. Dark legs and it gets lighter all the way up

What is your plan for the hide. It is a beautiful and unique coloring.

Rug for me

Excellent story. Again, congrats on an awesome bear!

Beautiful bear. Congratulations.

Used the 338 as it was meant to be,big bullets
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Great bear. What a monster.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast