Thread: Ranger XP 570 w/ EPS - Enough for Alaska?

Default Ranger XP 570 w/ EPS - Enough for Alaska?

I need to add a 3-seater sxs to the stable. With the $1400 rebate Polaris is offering this month, I can't stop looking at the full-size Ranger 570 with power steering. Long story short, is this vehicle powerful enough to hunt Eureka with? Specifically, will this thing be able to get up the hill from the Little Nelchina fully loaded? Will it make it through the mud and muck? Will I be kicking myself I didn't save up for the 900?

Here's the argument playing out in my brain:

Pros:

• Incredibly fuel efficient. A 300 mile fuel range?! All those jugs of extra fuel can stay home.
    • This machine is marketed against the Viking 700 and the Pioneer 700....Polaris will tell you that the 570 full-size is more powerful in terms of towing & capacity.
    • I'm not looking for something that goes 60mph. This is primarily a family hauler (to and from the cabin) but I would like the option to hunt with it if I decide to leave the Foreman at home.
    • The 570 Big Boss owners don't seem to be griping about a lack of power...
    • In fact, there's a rumor they'll put a version of the 570 in an upcoming Ranger 6x6.....if this motor could conceivably move that big beast, I should be fine, right?

Cons:
    • A 570cc motor in a sxs just seems under-powered these days. My buddy has a Sportsman with the 570....can a modified 4 wheeler engine really power a full-sized Ranger?
    • Am I going to hate life as I'm trying to navigate the mud holes of Eureka with a moose loaded in the back?

I would love some input on this...

It's all in the gearing. In some cases low gear sets and low speeds will get you most places with a heavy load. Other times wheel spin speed is what you may need to pull thru a deep hole. A lot of CC's is not a guarantee to a better machine. Will a 570 move 1000 pounds, yep under the right conditions. Will it get you thru the mud up Eureka way, most of it. With a little finesse and with a decent driver most machines are dead even regardless of CC's when the conditions are less the optimal.

My '04 650 will compete with today's 700's and 1000's and actually come out ahead in most cases, but that is a story for another time.

I will bring up a machine from years past that many overlooked or simply bypassed....the Honda 300. I have seen that machine drag logs in the thousands of pounds requiring a family of 4 to sit on the front rack to help get traction. Seen it slog thru mud to the bottom of the fenders. Was it the fastest or biggest nope, but it was able to get the job done.

Lots of engine displacement is more about marketing...

In most cases, you simply can't transfer a bunch of horsepower into the ground. Low gear and gray matter will get you in and out of places a 1000cc beast won't get you. I've moved a bunch of heavy stuff in and out of crappy places with a couple Honda Ranchers, a 450cc Rhino and a 400cc Can Am.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Nothing wrong with a 570cc machine at all. Will it get one there and back, yes! In years past 300-450cc machine were all we had and they did just fine. Besides they use a lot less fuel and are lighter.

Great feedback. Thanks!

I think I've decided on the 900 XP. Unfortunately, the only way to get the full size 570 with power steering (an option that's non-negotiable for me) is to get an LE model with fancy paint and wheels that I don't really care about. For a bit more money (around $1000) I can get a base model 900 w/ power steering and have the tires upgraded to 27's. I'll just have to do without a non-adjustable driver's seat and flat paint.

I might have decided on the 570 if I could have picked up power steering without paying for a bunch of other features that aren't essential.

Next year when everyone is buying the new Ranger 6x6 w/ the 570, I may be pretty jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by mawelge View Post
    Great feedback. Thanks!

Next year when everyone is buying the new Ranger 6x6 w/ the 570, I may be pretty jealous.

Whoa! Is that the latest rumor? I haven't heard that one since last year and pretty much gave up on that rumor when the 800s keep getting released.....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Whoa! Is that the latest rumor? I haven't heard that one since last year and pretty much gave up on that rumor when the 800s keep getting released.....
    I asked a couple of the dealers if the 570 was still likely on the way for the 6x6....both felt that was likely.

Quote Originally Posted by mawelge View Post
    Great feedback. Thanks!

I think I've decided on the 900 XP. Unfortunately, the only way to get the full size 570 with power steering (an option that's non-negotiable for me) is to get an LE model with fancy paint and wheels that I don't really care about. For a bit more money (around $1000) I can get a base model 900 w/ power steering and have the tires upgraded to 27's. I'll just have to do without a non-adjustable driver's seat and flat paint.

I might have decided on the 570 if I could have picked up power steering without paying for a bunch of other features that aren't essential.

Get a clutch kit.....that will be the one of the best things you can do with just about any stock machine and the differences are pretty dramatic with a slight increase in tire size. The other thing is if (Said when) you decided to run some deep water I would look at putting a snorkel kit in. The low intakes for the clutch and engine makes them susceptible to water ingestion. So unless you plan to use a tape measure to measure water depth all the time to make sure you stay within factory specs that would be another good addition.

I have an 800 in my 2011 Big Boss 6x6, it is a powerful gas hog. My son-in-law has a 2011 Ranger that has an 800, it has lots of power and gets much better mileage then my 800 6x6. I bought my wife the 2013 Razor LE 570 with power steering and engine braking. My son-in-law with the 800 barely won our drag race. As for power, I am sure you can pull Monument with a load in a Ranger 570, I think traction will be the limiting factor, especially with a heavy trailer.

My wife's Razor went right up Monument with 2 people, was not even a real test for it. I put a 2' High Lifter kit and 26" Mud lite tires on her Razor and their are more aggressive tires available. I like the power and fuel economy of the 570 engine and view it as a near perfect size for a utility machine.

Where you go with it depends a lot on the type of tires, a lift kit, a snorkel job, the clutching, and your driving skill. A pair of aftermarket shocks is my next big ticket item for my wife's Razor.

I have reached a point in my ATV life where any ATV I own will have engine braking. I have personally seen brakes fail and my son-in-law knows a guy who went on a wild ride down part of Monument when the brakes on his side x side failed! Eureka country has some steep hills and more then a few places with out trees to stop you! Coming down Monument with engine braking is easy and the brakes were hardly needed.

I also think a side x side is more dangerous to cross streams/rivers with as they are hard to get out of in a hurry if they roll and they catch more water and are not as buoyant as a 4 wheeler.

I'm starting to feel the old age stuff and if I ever get my own side x side it will probably have the 570 engine. The roof, wind shield, and heated seat cushion in my wife's Razor make for a warmer ride in lousy weather. I still find riding more fun then driving, but some day.......

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have an 800 in my 2011 Big Boss 6x6, it is a powerful gas hog. My son-in-law has a 2011 Ranger that has an 800, it has lots of power and gets much better mileage then my 800 6x6. I bought my wife the 2013 Razor LE 570 with power steering and engine braking. My son-in-law with the 800 barely won our drag race. As for power, I am sure you can pull Monument with a load in a Ranger 570, I think traction will be the limiting factor, especially with a heavy trailer.

My wife's Razor went right up Monument with 2 people, was not even a real test for it. I put a 2' High Lifter kit and 26" Mud lite tires on her Razor and their are more aggressive tires available. I like the power and fuel economy of the 570 engine and view it as a near perfect size for a utility machine.

Where you go with it depends a lot on the type of tires, a lift kit, a snorkel job, the clutching, and your driving skill. A pair of aftermarket shocks is my next big ticket item for my wife's Razor.

I have reached a point in my ATV life where any ATV I own will have engine braking. I have personally seen brakes fail and my son-in-law knows a guy who went on a wild ride down part of Monument when the brakes on his side x side failed! Eureka country has some steep hills and more then a few places with out trees to stop you! Coming down Monument with engine braking is easy and the brakes were hardly needed.

I also think a side x side is more dangerous to cross streams/rivers with as they are hard to get out of in a hurry if they roll and they catch more water and are not as buoyant as a 4 wheeler.

I'm starting to feel the old age stuff and if I ever get my own side x side it will probably have the 570 engine. The roof, wind shield, and heated seat cushion in my wife's Razor make for a warmer ride in lousy weather. I still find riding more fun then driving, but some day.......
    Thanks for sharing about the 570 motor. I still think I'll spend the extra $1000 to get the 900, but it's tempting. I'm with you on the engine braking...I rarely ever use the brakes on my Foreman.

You will like the pro star 900 engine-it's quiet, powerful and does good on gas. I don't even notice my meat wagon behind it. You need some 27 inchers and a good 4500 winch and a top, I have never felt the need for a snorkel or clutch kit , keep things simple and reliable , just don't go up hills in high.
    "f/64 and be there"