Thread: Jim creek / inland trail ??

Default Jim creek / inland trail ??

Recently moved down from North Pole and have been researching riding areas. From what I have read on old posts is you can get to Jim Creek from the Knik river area or an inland trail. Is this inland trail the one that starts at the end of Maud road off the Old Glenn? And where is the shooting range I keep reading about? Thought this area would be a great place to explore with all the scenery and critters to glass for. Thanks jb

Most people access Jim Creek from Sullivan rd. off the Old Glenn Hwy by the drag strip. The parking area is known as the "pavilion" after an old structure that was burnt down years ago. The parking area is a fee area ($5 I think) now since they put restrooms in. I prefer to go to the Knik river bridge and head up from there (free). This time of year, the water is low and you can run right along the Knik. Later in the summer, the Knik gets a little high to get past and you have to take the trail in the woods that parallels the river. I'm sure there are trails that will get you to the Knik from Maud road, but they will probably be pretty wet since that area along the mountain is basically one big swamp.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Ok thanks for the info, I pulled it up on google maps. I'll check them out. Where is the gun range in relation to the pavilion?

The gun range is on Maud rd, several miles from the pavilion.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Do you now live off of Maud Rd? Is that why you have the interest in wheelering from Maud all the way to the Knik?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

I accessed Jim's from Plumely Rd
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I accessed Jim's from Plumely Rd
    That was the original access from back in the 70's. You had to have a pretty serious 4wd to make it. My dad had a '72 F250 on 36"x16" Gumbo Monster Mudder tires we used to take back there with our Ranger track rig in the bed. Moose hunting used to be quite good back then.
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Do you now live off of Maud Rd? Is that why you have the interest in wheelering from Maud all the way to the Knik?
    I don't live down Maud, I was reaching how to get back in there and found what looked like an extension of Maud back in so far. It looked like a gravel road on Google maps and then turned into a trail closer to Jim Lake. I will get out there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Ranger track rig in the bed. .
    Really!!! I use to sell the Ranger track rigs in Anchorage in the middle to late 70.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Really!!! I use to sell the Ranger track rigs in Anchorage in the middle to late 70.
    Great rigs! I have a lot of miles in that thing.
    AKmud

Does anyone know if the Riverside trail from the knik bridge to Jim creek is passable by truck right now?

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Does anyone know if the Riverside trail from the knik bridge to Jim creek is passable by truck right now?
    Last weekend it was, but with the warmer weather this week it may have come up quite a bit.
    AKmud

I have not been up in the Jim Creek area since the late 60's. My first trip in there was in a big tired old army 4x4 and also a home made air boat powered by a Wanco snow machine engine and no prop guards! We would go back to the glacier and usually saw no one. I need to take the toy hauler and machines up there some day and show my wife and grandkids the area. Any places to park a toy hauler and leave from and come back later and the toy hauler would still be there?

There were few trails then and some times we made our own. A long gone friend was trying to build a small A Frame hunting cabin there and gave up as every winter some one on snow machines trashed the place and eventually torched it. Long gone out door writer Russel Annabell hung out up there for years and in the late 50's complained about the riff raff stealing his stuff and he left the area.

Any way I am getting the urge to revisit some of my old haunts. I probably won't recognize the place.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Last weekend it was, but with the warmer weather this week it may have come up quite a bit.
    It is under water now.