Thread: Tips for Fishing Brown Water Caused By Heavy Rains?

Default Tips for Fishing Brown Water Caused By Heavy Rains?

Anyone have tips for fishing salmon (kings) in the brown water caused by heavy rains? Juneau has been getting nailed with rain the last week. Anything you're willing to share is appreciated.

Thanks!

Since this is in the saltwater forum, are you planning on trolling the salt for these kings? If you're using downriggers, I wouldn't pay much attention to the dirty water. That usually sits on the surface and the water is plenty clear down lower where the kings are.

Amen on the brown water floating. Unless you get wind chop for a sustained period, big tide changes or the fish move up fairly shallow. We get that a lot of discolored water with rains. The water isn't necessarily "brown" but it goes cloudy and you can't see a lure 3' below the boat.

Coupla stunts:

If you can find the edge of the cloudy water, troll along the edge of it in the clear side. Fish really stack up there.

If you can't find a fish there or there's no edge, get real "noisy." Put on your biggest flashers and adjust your rig and speed so your rod tip is really bouncing. "Noisy" lures help too, things along the lines of Quickfish, Brads or King Candy cutplugs.

By noise I mean vibration going out through the water. Never had any luck at all with lures having built in rattles, but the more things move side to side to push vibrations out through the water, the easier it is for kings to find them. The lateral line on fish is nothing more than a great big pressure sensor down either side of their bodies. Use it.

Yep, still fishing in the salt. Trolling in less that 20' of water, using downriggers and banana weights depending on personal preference of the folks in the boat. Right now I'm lucky if I can see the 11" hot spot a foot under the water. It's crazy. Not only is it the rain water, but the glacier rivers are pumping out the silt too. Will try to find the edge, thx brown bear.

Hint:

Back in my commercial trolling days nearly 50 years ago we had pretty decent night trolling for kings down deep- as in 60 fathoms. No way they could see a thing.

No "glo" lures or such back then, but we did have great big oversize flashers with whole herring behind rigged for faster spins. Plugs were good sometimes without the flasher, with their sideways vibration.

Big lures, I'll run wiggle fins on every ball and then run UV flashers and glow on everything, and I HATE running inline flashers. I'm a big fan of J-Plugs, especially in dirty water, catch lots of kings on them, especially big kings, and you can really run them at fast speeds. I'm the opposite of BrownBear, I like rattles in the plugs. If you know there's fish in that area canvas it hard, the fish can't see you baits from as far off as in the clear water so you may have to drag it right in front of them.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts