Thread: Few Questions

Default Few Questions

Does anyone know any lakes or river near Girdwood that have Northern Pike? Seeing as no one in Alaska likes Pike my family and I we're planning to go fishing for some. We just wanted to fish along shore with spinners, no boats or anything.

And my other question is, with big fish like halibut and shark do you have to shoot them to death? I've never fished for fish as big as these and in videos I see people shoot them to death before bringing it onto the boat.

I dont know of any lakes with pike in the girdwood area. But if you find one feel free to catch and kill them all.

On big halibut yes we shoot them. If you even try to bring a fish over 80 to 100 lbs in a boat it will thrash around and break everything including legs and boats.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Are there any lakes or rivers around Anchorage or Whittier that have northern pike?

Is it possible just to gaff the halibut to death? Cause flying in from chicago I don't think we're going to bring any firearms...

I guess gaffing it to death is an option. Not one I have ever seen used but it is an option. I Know Cheney lake in anchorage has pike as does fire lake in eagle river. You can always call ADF&G when you get into town to find out the pike hot spots. They are more than willing to tell you where they are. You might want to consider bringing a 410 or small pistol up here on your trip to shoot any big halibut. I know if it is over 70 or so and you pull the gaff through once he is gonna go physco on you, your line, the side of the boat etc etc etc. I use my 44 with bird shot and it works wonders. Heck even a .22 slug or shot would be better than the gaff im sure. if you do try the gaff thing be careful. I dont want to hear of any arms broke or holes in the side of the boat while your enjoying your trip. Do you know anybody up here you can borrow a gun from?
    Email me at ceujr39@yahoo.com if you dont have a gun or somebody up here with one. maybe i can work something out for you.
    Chuck

Default Holy cow.

Chuck you must like to shoot stuff. I have safely handled halibut by hand that were over 150 lbs. You just have to be careful.
    You can shoot them as they can hurt you. Lots of people/boats do it but it would eliminate a true trophy fish. If you take a charter they will take care of killing the butts for you.
    I have seen a flying gaff used with great results. (HUGE gaff on a pole with a rope attached. You plunge the gaff all the way through the halibut and the head of the gaff comes off the pole but is attached to a rope. You wait for it to die.

Pike near girdwood.....well Chuck told you straight. Cheney here in anchorage has pike. There are various lakes around that have them. Check with anchorage ADF&G and they will put you on the best one. The one I like is Red Shirt lake out at the Nancy lake rec area past Wasilla. It is an easy 1 or 2 mile walk in. (easy but for the bugs). Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    I have seen a flying gaff used with great results. (HUGE gaff on a pole with a rope attached. You plunge the gaff all the way through the halibut and the head of the gaff comes off the pole but is attached to a rope. You wait for it to die.
    That would be a harpoon

I have harpooned big butt with no issues myself. Gaffing and harpooning ar two totally different things. I do not enjoy shooting things at all though. I have fished for halibut for over 25 years up here and have seen people and equipment hurt by just gaffing and pulling them in the boat and letting them flail all over the place. I was just saying a nice shot to the head takes care of it real quick for everybody. I usually harpoon the big ones then place one shot in the head to kill them quickly. No reason to try to club something that big and make it longer that it needs to be. Just quick and safe is all.