Thread: GMU 13: the search for brown and black

Default GMU 13: the search for brown and black

Hey everyone I am going on a hunting trip with a buddy of mine in a couple weeks and we plan on hiking around and looking to see what's poking around. I have searched the regs in regards to unit 13 Browns and blacks but I am pondering about some clarification on the brown bear reg for 13. It states 13E within Denali state park during a certain time and everywhere else is no closed season. Does that mean you can still kill a brownie outside of Denali state park in 13E or must you go to another section of 13.

i know I can call to verify but I figured this would be a good chance for anyone to speak their mind about the area if they wanted and provide some insight. This forum has been really helpful and I appreciate any knowledge anyone wants to lend.

Airborne!

You can still hunt the rest of 13E for brown bears.

Thanks I appreciate the answer. I was about to get discouraged as I saw over 200 views and no one lending an answer.

I believe the only difference between 13E (State Park) regulations and the rest of unit 13 for brown bear is the length of the season. The season is closed in 13E (State Park) between June 16 and August 9. Probably because of the tourist season in the state park. There might be some bear baiting restrictions too but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've baited bears.

There are places in unit 13 where the black bear population is very high also. And there are some places in unit 13 with a high percentage of cinnamon black bears as well, but mums the word on that. You'll have to figure that part out on your own sir. But plenty of browns for the taking if you're interested.

Thanks bushwhack for the info. Definitely excited for the trip and being prior military I don't mind getting out in the woods or hills and ruck it out and find the spots to go. I just don't want to run into a lot of people or be in a highly populated area so that kind of drives the distance I am willing to go. Would you think there would be any concerns with native land or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Martinezpj90 View Post
    Would you think there would be any concerns with native land or anything?
    The only place in unit 13 that I am aware of with private land issues is along the Denali highway on the far west side. I'm sure there is some other places but most of it is public land.

Driving distance isn't what will get you away from people. It's your feet or your off road capability.
    On a side note, some places are slammed with people and the bear hunting is awesome. Other hunters don't mean the hunting won't be as good. Most places on the Alaska peninsula will run camps every two miles on a river system and run a extremely high success rate. Granted you can hear each camp shooting but the bears are there. Dilingham area in April is a snow machine zoo, but alot of guys get bears. So don't let other people discourage your hunting. Let that be for the sheep hunters....haha
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Brwnbr thanks for that advice. I hope all goes well for the trip but ultimately just looking forward to being in the mountains and trees. Either way is a victory to me, but a bear would be a nice cherry on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinezpj90 View Post
    but a bear would be a nice cherry on top.
    Especially if that cherry needs bustin'......lol

Good luck...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That's a good way to put it 4merguide. I hope to see something nice as I'm a little more picky since I already got a good cinnamon black bear.