Thread: Where best for King and Halibut

Default Where best for King and Halibut

I will be in Alaska on a cruise leaving 7/12 and ending on 7/18. Will be stopping in Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, and Skagway. Scheduled for the train trip in Skagway, so it looks like fishing is out for that stop. Any suggestions on where the best chance is for a nice King and some good Halibut fishing would be? Also, open for references on charters.

Bandon, OR

We're still getting Kings in mass quantity in Juneau this week, but the King run has certainly peaked already. My first choice for coho fishing would be Juneau (of the ports you mentioned). For halibut, Hoonah (Icy Strait Point) is closest to good halibut fishing.

If the weather is good, a few boats in Juneau have been working the yelloweye holes lately (with great results.) Also, with all the new restrictions on halibut, some of us have been running deep-drop trips for sablefish.

In Hoonah, try Tekk Outfitters or F.I.S.H.E.S.
    In Juneau, you can contact any of the boats directly, but most of the larger boats and more experienced guides are booked already. Try the Professional Mariners' Group (907-364-3455) or Juneau Sport Fishing (907-586-1887). Both are brokers that have access to dozens of boats.

Happy fishing!

M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR