Thread: In need of a Conibear trap for demonstration

Default In need of a Conibear trap for demonstration

I am planning a demonstration at an upcoming Outdoor Club meeting on releasing a pet from a conibear trap. Would like to buy an old one from someone. I want to show them how to get it open using rope or a leash. Might even do some destructive stuff like cutting the spring with a folding hack saw or small bolt cutters. Anybody have some they would like to get rid of cheap.....or free. If not, I'll suck it up and go buy a new one at Three Bears.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I'd donate one for the cause. I do some training in this also, and it would be great for pet owners to know how to do it. But I'm way out here, so probably be cheaper and easier for you to get one from someone down there. Equally important is teaching folks how to release pets from foot holds (long springs and coil springs, two entirely different processes). Snares are easy to release pets out of most of time, since a pet in a snare thinks it's tied up and usually won't fight enough to cause serious injury.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I'd donate one for the cause. I do some training in this also, and it would be great for pet owners to know how to do it. But I'm way out here, so probably be cheaper and easier for you to get one from someone down there. Equally important is teaching folks how to release pets from foot holds (long springs and coil springs, two entirely different processes). Snares are easy to release pets out of most of time, since a pet in a snare thinks it's tied up and usually won't fight enough to cause serious injury.

Claude
    Thanks for helping folks Claude. Our group hikes a lot. Most have dogs. A few have watched a video on releasing a pet from a conibear, but it will be a whole different ball game attempting it for the first time in the field without actual practice. I plan to make this happen at one of our regular monthly meetings, and the refresh in the fall just before trapping season starts again.

Alaska Trappers Association may be able to help.

Contact ATA

Phone: (907) 457-1774
    Mail: P. O. Box 82177
    Fairbanks, Alaska 99708
    Email: info@alaskatrappers.org

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Alaska Trappers Association may be able to help.

Contact ATA

Phone: (907) 457-1774
    Mail: P. O. Box 82177
    Fairbanks, Alaska 99708
    Email: info@alaskatrappers.org
    Already tried that.

I have quite a few I haven't used in years. What size do you need? No charge.

I have a few too; I'm in Kenai. No charge.
    Education is good, and I'm all for a little cohesion between trappers and other outdoor enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    I have a few too; I'm in Kenai. No charge.
    Education is good, and I'm all for a little cohesion between trappers and other outdoor enthusiasts.
    I am in Nikiski. My GF works in Kenai and could either meet with you after work or you could stop by her work. I will pm you.

Quote Originally Posted by ron e View Post
    I have quite a few I haven't used in years. What size do you need? No charge.
    That would be great. I am in Nikiski though. Would like to show them how strong a 330 is and let them try different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Already tried that.
    What was their response? The reason I ask is because they give demos on exactly what you are talking about and there is a Kenai Chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    What was their response? The reason I ask is because they give demos on exactly what you are talking about and there is a Kenai Chapter.
    I don't remember the exact response, but they either didn't have the time or people to do a presentation.

Supporting Member

You might try contacting the Alaska Frontier Trappers Association in Palmer. They were putting together some "Release kits" that had heavy duty zip ties and a sheet of instructions. I'm sure they would be happy to send one down to you.

My wife is dropping off two conis for you today.
    (Your inbox is full)

Thank you very much.