Thread: Strange Honda Outboard Problem

Default Strange Honda Outboard Problem

A friend has Honda outboards on his 28 foot Kingfisher and this spring one is acting rather strangely. It starts normally, but after a minute or two it begins running rough, then the high temp alert triggers, and it shuts down. The engine isn't even warmed up yet and is definitely not hot. When he restarts, the same thing happens each time.

Any thoughts? Maybe a sensor problem?

Thanks!
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Is water pump stream, normal? I replaced both of mine last year and had issues till I flushed cooling system. Worked great last week. T stat can stick also. Or flo sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by healerf18 View Post
    A friend has Honda outboards on his 28 foot Kingfisher and this spring one is acting rather strangely. It starts normally, but after a minute or two it begins running rough, then the high temp alert triggers, and it shuts down. The engine isn't even warmed up yet and is definitely not hot. When he restarts, the same thing happens each time.

Thanks!
    Replace thermostats it's easy. Then check to see after that.

Excellent. Thank you both!
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

My 2006 BF150 has a light and tone, that is triggered by more than one sensor. I learned this the hard way by not having my manual and getting water in my tank and sucked into the filter and separator that is ON THE ENGINE. I kept thinking low oil and though something was wrong with the oil system then I figured out how it work and checked and found water in the engine, mine has a sensor for that and it would do just as you described, the rough running may be water fouling the plugs.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Ditto to what stid2677 says... same thing with my Yamaha F150, though the Yamaha alarm goes off but it does not shut down. I even run a Racor water separator before and the little water separator filter in the engine still gets full. Now I run the blue marine +ethanol Stabil fuel treatment and that has really helped to keep water out of the system. Here in AK with the super high humidity your fuel tank can get a lot of water into the system just from the breather vent. I run two carb Honda 90s on two boats which are really sensitive to water also and if one of the three carbs has a even a tiny blip of water in them it will start to run rough.

Sobie2

Quote: " I even run a Racor water separator before and the little water separator filter in the engine still gets full."

So, where is the water coming from? Is the fuel contaminated from the pump or is there another source of water intrusion?

I should have read your post better, Sobie. Are all Hondas carbed? Last year my fuel injected Evinrude 4 stroke 70 was acting similar to the op's description. George @ Anch. Yamaha cleaned the injectors and serviced the idle air control valve and all was well, again.

No, the older Hondas were carb motors not the new ones. I was using two examples of water in the fuel. The Honda symptoms were in rough running motors and you had to drain the carbs, the Yamaha water in the fuel kicked on an audible alarm when the on board water fuel separator went off.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by healerf18 View Post

Thanks!
    Healer, I went through the gamut on my 2011 Honda 150 two years ago (water pump, thermostat) for water temp warning rough running and shut down. Nothing helped, talked with storm chasers service and they suggested flushing with "Salt Away" before anything else is done. The issues immediately vanished, I am a "Salt Away" junkie! It's expensive but it's concentrated and goes a long way, I flush all my motors with it multiple times a season and swear by it. Worth a try.