Thread: Galena to Tok River Questions

Default Galena to Tok River Questions

I am plan on driving my 17' flat bottom with a 60hp from Galena to at least Fairbanks at the end of the month. I am moving to Tok, and thought about finishing the trip on the river. I have driven roundtrip from Galena to Fairbanks about half a dozen times, but never upriver of the Chena. I plan to switch my prop out with a jet foot while in Fairbanks for the remainder of the trip.

Here are my questions:

Does anyone know the river miles from Fairbanks to Big Delta and/or Tok?

Are there any easy places to get gas along to way or should I haul fuel from FAI?

I'm pretty sure this is a no, but are there rapids or other impediments between Fairbanks and Tok?

I know from Nenana to the Chena it is pretty rocky, does it stay like this?

Any help is appreciated.

Check out this document on the Tanana River. It might be of interest to you.

That was interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Has anyone made the trip before than can tell me if I am an idiot or not for thinking about this? The posted report seems to share my misgivings about the stretch between Fairbanks and Big Delta.

Worlds largest truck stop

I have never been on that section of the river, its very braided thats for sure, and I never had a need or reason to run it. I am sure there are folks on here who have run that section, maybe some will chime in. I would think it would be doable with your outfit...
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”