Thread: 30-30 plinking loads

Default 30-30 plinking loads

I have a desire to turn my 30-30 into a small game rifle when need arises. I am thinking a light load of Unique with something to hold the powder against the primer might be just the checker. I have an old acquaintance that says he uses dryer lint to hold the powder against the primer. I have acces to commercial dryers that put out a 5 gallon bucket of lint/week.

I also got some .311 round balls in the mail from Track of the Wolf. I have been told they won't work buy some pretty wise fellas but I am a hard sell. Need to see for my self and play with it a while. A little soft 46 grain round ball just tantalizes me.

Have any of you shot 30 cal bullets intended for the 30 Carbine in a 30-30 reduced load scenerio?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have a desire to turn my 30-30 into a small game rifle when need arises. I am thinking a light load of Unique with something to hold the powder against the primer might be just the checker. I have an old acquaintance that says he uses dryer lint to hold the powder against the primer. I have acces to commercial dryers that put out a 5 gallon bucket of lint/week.
    Might work if you're not in dry conditions. I know guys who use dryer lint in their fire starter kits.

My only firsthand experience with fillers in 30-30 involved cream of wheat. It worked, but it was another step. A bud convinced me to try Unique without a filler. After dinking with it, I never went back to fillers.

I'm fascinated with the round balls too, but would probably lean on the Speer/Hornady 30 cal plinkers or cast 30 carbine bullets as you suggest. Probably prejudice, but I'd just expect those to be more accurate if you stretched the range a little. My experience with 30 cal (.290 balls), 32 cal (.311) and 36 cal (.350) muzzleloaders makes me think that way. There are lots of variables to be worked with in making those little balls fly straight at any range at all, I have to wonder if you can accomplish nearly so much with the case. I'm fascinated to see what you come up with, but I'd be scoping out a source of those plinker/30carb bullets just in case.

I use Dacron fiber for filler on cast bullet loads in 30-30, about one grain per with a flat nose cast Lyman 311440 147gr. The Dacron is easily obtained cheaply from sewing shops as it is used for filling in pillows and quilts.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC:

If you are using Unique, there should be no need for "something to hold the powder against the primer".

RBs, didn't work for ME. With my limited experience, I cannot say they could never work for anyone. I just ran out of ideas and enthusiasm.

I tried a faster rate powder, Bullseye.

Don't recall if I tried a Heavy Crimp.

IIRC, I didn't try MORE powder, figgering the soft lead RBs would lead badly with the increased velocity. And depending on how high it was,
    would defeat the whole purpose of the loads.

I can/will send you some 116 grain FN GC cast, sized, and lubed bullets, same like I'm now using in my 30-30 with 10.5 grains of Unique. BUT, with the GCs, you could choose a different powder for more velocity.

I've had good luck with cast bullets at around 1500 fps, in several rifles/cartridges, and on up to around 2000 with a couple of others.

When it comes to very low velocity, there is only my unsuccessful attempt at shooting RBs.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    EKC:

If you are using Unique, there should be no need for "something to hold the powder against the primer".

RBs, didn't work for ME. With my limited experience, I cannot say they could never work for anyone. I just ran out of ideas and enthusiasm.

I tried a faster rate powder, Bullseye.

Don't recall if I tried a Heavy Crimp.

IIRC, I didn't try MORE powder, figgering the soft lead RBs would lead badly with the increased velocity. And depending on how high it was,
    would defeat the whole purpose of the loads.

I can/will send you some 116 grain FN GC cast, sized, and lubed bullets, same like I'm now using in my 30-30 with 10.5 grains of Unique. BUT, with the GCs, you could choose a different powder for more velocity.

I've had good luck with cast bullets at around 1500 fps, in several rifles/cartridges, and on up to around 2000 with a couple of others.

When it comes to very low velocity, there is only my unsuccessful attempt at shooting RBs.

Smitty of the North
    Gonna give these a try. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=556003225. I might end up shooting them out of my h&r only if they are too square on the front to feed in the 94.

I shot up a box of 150 gr power points through the 94 today.man it balances and feels good. I rang a six inch gong 4 in a row at 150 free handed.....then missed it twice. Gotta be smart enough to quit when I'm ahead.

That's a great looking bullet! If hard, they won't expand at small game velocities, but you'll have a great meplat for smackdowns. If soft, they'll be downright explosive at higher vels. That nose reminds me of the great Speer 25 cal 100 grain HPs. I busted a truckload of ground squirrels and rockchucks with those during my days in the west. My 3" 257 Roberts from RCBS would just about stack them on top of each other, so long range potential was all out of proportion to trajectory.

I had some one tell me I was an idiot for using 30-30 brass in my 375 Chester. He said your going to have to shoot very light loads only. MMM HMM, I have shot lots of hot 375 loads with 30-30 brass with no ill effect and dont expect any. By hot I mean with in spec but close to top. Gish dern the 45 Colt was originally designed for low pressure only loads. There is nothing heavy or strong about the 45 Colt case but "in the right firearm" they are fine at 50,000 psi.

One person writes something on the internet 20 people read it and 10 repeat it and soon it becomes the gospel of the blind.

One person writes something on the internet 20 people read it and 10 repeat it and soon it becomes the gospel of the blind.
    In an election year, to boot. Imagine that.....

BB, I talked to the gentleman that is making and selling these 100 grain bullets. He said that they are actually a 32 caliber bullet that he runs througha .311 sizing die. He said they are not real hard but in his 94 he gets no leading at 1200 fps. He said at 1200 fps they are surprising as to how much they open up. Then he told me exactly what I was wanting to hear. He said when 22 ammo went crazy he started playing around with light bullets and Trail Boss, Bullseye and Unique. Once he shot some of these at 1200 fps he stopped looking because he had what he was after.

I told him thanks for solving the riddle for me. I also told him that if they work for me in Chester's(my NRA 30-30's name) 24 inch barrel than I will be buying a couple thousand of them. I have 4 lbs of Unique....at 7 grains per load thats 4,000 rounds or good for the rest of my tripping over sticks days.

Keep your fingers crossed that they perform as touted.

Bingo. Sounds like a winning combo. Just on account of wondering, if you find any issues at .311, see if you can get near someone with a Lubrisizer and .309 die. Might make a heck of a difference in accuracy and leading, but then again maybe not necessary. Only gunsmoke will tell. I'd also be thinking about your neck expander for getting those .311 gems started into the case without shaving.

Keep us posted. Cast bullet plinking is so much fun I can't remember the last time my Marlin 35 Remington tasted a jacketed slug.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Bingo. Sounds like a winning combo. Just on account of wondering, if you find any issues at .311, see if you can get near someone with a Lubrisizer and .309 die. Might make a heck of a difference in accuracy and leading, but then again maybe not necessary. Only gunsmoke will tell. I'd also be thinking about your neck expander for getting those .311 gems started into the case without shaving.

Keep us posted. Cast bullet plinking is so much fun I can't remember the last time my Marlin 35 Remington tasted a jacketed slug.
    I use my 375 neck expander plug for belling 30-30 cases and it seems to work well.

I am sure glad that you and Smitty told me that I don't need a filler for holding the Unique close to the primer. Omitting that step speeds up the process a bunch.

The old timer that made these bullet swears they don't lead in his 94 at 1200. I however never shot any cast bullets that were 311 in a .308 barrel. They gotta get squeezed down somewhere. If it turns out that they are smearing some lead I do have a Saeco lube sizer that can be deployed.

Smitty is introducing me to a proven boolit his 30-30 likes. I will get a load worked up with it right away because I have a whole lot of stuff that needs doing at the timber and I want my 30-30 leaning against a tree for company. I got lots of 30-30 bullets to shoot up and three rifles to shoot em up in.

I done rounded up a couple of 336es that is busticated. Hope I can make one good one out of the two. Might be a next winter project.

Might be a next winter project.
    Guy needs those.

Of course, they have a way of accumulating on their own. Just ask my wife!