Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship Creek

Lightbulb Ship Creek

While driving home from work this evening, saw a guy making some casts on Ship Creek. Seems too early in the season to me, but gotta give the guy credit for trying. Any predictions on when the first king will be landed this year?

I swear one of these years I am going to grab my fly rod when I see someone flogging the waters weeks before the first kings show up and go stand about 5 feet from them and start fishing. Look at the guy after a few seconds and say "Man, seems like combat fishing at the ditch just gets worse every season."

I'll predict the first verified king gets pulled May 21.

Always someone trying to get the first one! Cant blame the guy for trying I guess. I'll say may 18th with the warm weather and early spring I bet one will get tagged early.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Why is Ship Creek so late compared to the Deshka? I've heard of kings being caught on the Deshka on May 16th. They have a heck of a lot farther to swim than the fish headed into Ship Creek.

Their timing is slightly different.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Their timing is slightly different.
    LOL. They probably know that there is about 15,000 lead weights waiting to smack them in the head once they head up ship as well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I rarely fish the Ditch. Mostly just swing by to watch the people show.

However, after several years of poor returns, the king run seems to be improving to the point where there's a good chance of catching something now. That gives me some incentive to get dirty this season!

It's not worth it. I heard the ship return is going to be minimal this year based on El Niņo !

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    LOL. They probably know that there is about 15,000 lead weights waiting to smack them in the head once they head up ship as well.
    And every other roadside fishery

Release Lake Trout

Update: While crossing the overpass yesterday evening, caught a glimpse of five guys beating the water just below the second bridge. Despite the increased angler activity, still haven't heard any reports of the first king caught yet. Got a feeling it won't be long before we get confirmation though.

just remember a bad day of fishing will beat a good day at the office, some people just like to fish,
    even when there are very few fish in the stream, SID

Just remember a bad day fishing will beat a good day at the office , some people just like to toss a lure in the water SID

Saw on FB that the first one was bonked.

Supporting Member

Slow today. Of about 50 people fishing down by the mouth during high tide this morning, ~ three people caught a fish. Looked like two jacks and one nice fish.

I'm new to salmon fishing, but managed to catch a king at ship creek last Thursday.

Can anyone comment on catch-and-release fishing for kings (especially at ship creek)? Is it realistic to be able to remove the hook from a large king without removing the fish from the water? (and without harming the fish?) I caught the fish using a spinner with treble hook -- guessing that treble hooks aren't a good idea for catch and release. Thanks.

The short answer no. Now the law states that you have to release kings in 2 feet of water and can not be removed from the water. Is it hard to remove a hook from a big king when it is jumping around, yes. It can be done and I have done it but it's hard. I don't think you could possibly do at ship creek though. You need an area to wade and be able to release the fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cariboumaster View Post
    The short answer no. Now the law states that you have to release kings in 2 feet of water and can not be removed from the water. Is it hard to remove a hook from a big king when it is jumping around, yes. It can be done and I have done it but it's hard. I don't think you could possibly do at ship creek though. You need an area to wade and be able to release the fish.

Source please....

Many folks including kids couldn't even stand in 2 ft of water in many rivers that hold kings. As good as it might sound for the fish, this seems odd...especially since this is the first I've heard of it but that wouldn't be the first time. lol.

Can you cite where you got this info?
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboumaster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Source please....

Many folks including kids couldn't even stand in 2 ft of water in many rivers that hold kings. As good as it might sound for the fish, this seems odd...especially since this is the first I've heard of it but that wouldn't be the first time. lol.
    In the regs it says that if you remove a fish from the water you need to retain the fish. I can't find the cite on the 2 feet of water to release a king. My fault on that part. But to not take a king out of the water you probably need a 1 or 2 feet of water to release the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Can you cite where you got this info?
    In the regs it says that if you remove a fish from the water you need to retain the fish. I can't find the cite on the 2 feet of water to release a king. My fault on that part. But to not take a king out of the water you probably need a 1 or 2 feet of water to release the fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast