Thread: Cub or 180/185

Default Cub or 180/185

I'm in the market for a plane and I'm having a hard time deciding between the speed and utility of a cessna or the STOL and fun factor of a cub. My background, I grew up flying a C182, currently flying helicopters. My use will be mainly just flying for fun in the back country and the occasional hunt. Budget is 130K and below

If I were generally solo, I'd go Cub. If kids might be in tow, a 185 sure would be nice. I've been flying a cub for a year and a half now and love it, but with a family of four it sure would be nice to have four seats. Still, for flying and adventure as the only criteria, I'll choose the cub every time.

Are you active duty or Reserve? With that kind of cash you can buy a a Great Cub or 180. If you like metal than a tricked out 180 will really do a lot and if you transfer to lower 48 you can still be a rock star. I fly with a 185 guy that wants a 18/12 BAD, but his mission at this point is metal and he is very good at it. Come out to Birchwood and we can give you a test drive in all of them. But once you have mainlined a cub the rest is just like smoking the cheap stuff!!
    DENNY

Totally depends on the mission. If solo, short strip & gravel bar hopping.... then a cub or similar. If, carrying pass, camping gear, family, and whatever to backcountry strip 180/185 are hard to beat.
    I fly a 185, an honestly it's a stallion. Amaze's me at times what it will carry. But then there are those times when I look down an say, I wish I had a cub right now.... I probably could do it with 185... but why push it.
    For me, the 185 is a nice fit. I use it heavy at times but at other times I don't. Its nice know knowing I have the option if the need calls for it.
    Before making the jump, you may want to sit in 185. Had a buddy that I flew with in his 182, cabin was a few inches wider than my 185, it's was quite noticeable and nice.

It's like comparing a motorcycle to a pickup truck. If you want to go fly for flying's sake a Cub is a great toy. If you want to toss several hundred pounds of people and stuff in with you and get from point A to point B the Skywagon has the advantage. No matter which you choose you'll have days you wish for the other.

Cub is a whole lot cheaper to fly than a 185. Less maint., fuel, goes into and out of more places. Is smaller and slower though. Find a hunting/fishing buddy with a cub and you can haul all your stuff and have a spare airplane.

Get an older 182 and a less than immaculate cub. For $130 K you could get the four seater and a workable cub or 12. Best of both worlds.

2 different performing planes would be excellent. But not many of us can effort that luxury: 2x maintenance, annuals and insurance.

A cub cub is cheaper than a 185? Not so sure.

Again, it depends on the mission.

A stock cub with 150 hp and 36gal capacity of gas compared to a stock 185 with ( mine holds 88 gals) ?
    Load them with 1200lbs of payload and move 500kt miles round trip (ex. brooks range an back) an see which is more econical: the. 185 by far.
    When empty I play around at 9 gal/hr and 110kts. Can a cub even reach that?
    Yes, I know the 185 is not the stol that a cub is.... But for lbs/mile I think the cub is a runner up. Hence is it really cheaper? I don't think so.

I've had 3 Cubs, 3 180's, and a 206. The Cubs were the most expensive to fly.

I have flown the Iron Dog with a 185 our fuel burn was the same. His fuel burn was higher but he made up for it with speed. I have a buddy that had a cub and 180. He said the cub always burned more fuel than the 180 for trips to cabin. Now you might save a 1 GPH if you would pull it back to 2200 RPM but if you want to go to the Brooks it makes for a long day. I am happy with my cub, would not ***** if I had a good 180, it depends on what you want.
    DENNY

A few of things to consider.

My wife prefers side-by-side seating. Not to be near me but to be in the front row so she can see forward and not get queasy. Wives' opinions matter.

Passengers are more comfy in a Skywagon. Dogs are easier to take. Freight is easier to load. Old men (pilots) have an easier time getting in and out.

A Cub is a whole heck of a lot easier to push around than a Skywagon. Get a Wagon stuck on skis and you'll wish it was a Cub!

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still undecided so I may take you up on that offer Denny

Mr Pid is right on. I'm fortunate to have both a 185 and a SQ2 (Experimental Super Cub). I wouldn't sell either of them. :-)

SQ2 is the most fun for sure but slow. If I could only have one the SQ2 would be it, but I can take my time getting from point A to point B. If I couldn't I'd choose the 185.

The 185 is almost twice as fast for about the same fuel burn per hour (LOP). Throttle back to Cub speed and I'm burning 4 gallons an hour. It's nice to have the speed when traveling long distance or avoiding weather. Put on a Sportsman STOL and WingX extensions and she'll fly a lot slower and more stable and without a top speed penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    It's like comparing a motorcycle to a pickup truck. If you want to go fly for flying's sake a Cub is a great toy. If you want to toss several hundred pounds of people and stuff in with you and get from point A to point B the Skywagon has the advantage. No matter which you choose you'll have days you wish for the other.
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

Early model c-180 56-59.... Wing x and sportsman stol... Not a cub, but close, yet fast..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you guys think of this? http://www.skywagons.com/_aircraft_f...GW/N185GW.html seems like a decent price for all the STCs and the avionics package

It sounds heavy. Do the Flint tanks make it's gross 3600? If so the empty is 2080#. Hard to believe it could weigh 1830 with all that "stuff".

A friend of mine has a 180 horse PA-14 Cub Family Cruiser with extended wings. It flies almost like a super Cub yet has more room for his wife and 2 small kids. ( They are all pretty thin ) Since it has a fixed pitch prop, the long term cost are somewhat less than a constant seed prop.
    On floats it will go places that no C-185 or light C-180 would ever dream of going.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com