Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First bruin!

Default First bruin!

5 years in the making. I have many blown stalks, missed a shot on a nice one out of hope a few years ago, had bad luck on the bait you name it and it went wrong. Well that all ended this weekend. We make a quick trip to the bait site to check cams and found that they were empty still, no hits. Decided to blow town for the weekend and hit the sound. We got down to the launch and got out on the water around 11. We spent some time motoring around and glassing some hills but didn't like the scenery or the company of other boats. My rig is a little on the small side to be putzing around in the big water but we decided to take a risk and push the boundaries and go further and out into the big water. We scoped another bay but alas, another boat! We started to roll down the coast line again and saw another boat about 15 miles away heading the same direction. We were already set in motion though so we decided to carry along. About 10 minutes later a big black spot catches my eye up in an avalanche chute. Is that a bear? My partner looks through his binos, not sure man might be a big eagle or a stump. Hmmm, ok we proceed to move slowly. Im pretty dang sure thats a bear dude. Shift to idle, pick up the binos, perfect timing as his head moves to get some green stuff. We proceed about a mile down the shore line to the down wind side as the wind was starting to rip at about 25 mph. I hop off to the shore and start making my way down. It seems like forever getting there climbing over the big rocks and trees I can feel my heart beating in my ears hoping hes still there. About 200 yds away a giant eagle jumps out of the trees on the cliffs and flies over head. I took a brief moment to admire it, those things never get old. I finally get to the bottom of the chute and I can't find him where I last saw him. Dang. I start poking around the sides looking through the alders hoping to catch a glimpse of tracks or sign of some sort. After about 10 minutes I get lucky. He shifts to get some food and I catch a piece of his arm. Hes bedded down a few hundred yards up in some alders with a bunch of fresh skunk cabbage and fiddle heads. I take a quick assessment of the hill and determine there is zero chance of getting above him or around the side of him because of the high wind and steep hills covered in giant alders. I dug in on the shore line and started to watch. This bear was in no rush to leave. He laid there napping, occasionally rolling over to shovel some more leaves into his mouth. I sat on the beach for over 2 hours hoping he was going to move, and if and when he moved it would be in the right direction. Not much of him was visible so I had no idea of the real size. Through the bits and pieces I could gauge he was a decent size bear. His head looked pretty square so I figured I had a boar. The tide begins to flip over on the beach and I can see the water coming back in. If he don't move soon Im gonna get wet and lose my shooting position. At about the 2.5 hr mark he made his final move, little did he know. He picked up out of his bed and made a turn to the right, broad side. Safety was off already, wham, I crack the shot out of the .300. I bury him, all four legs go out from under him. Im in shock but had no time to let it sink it. This monster stands back up! He turns left, I jack another round into the chamber, WHAM! I smack him hard again, again all four legs fall out and he begins to roll. Im confident I got him. About 10 seconds go by, which felt like an eternity, I hear him scream his last breaths as he lets out 3 loud moans and it goes quiet minus the waves and my heart beat. My buddy comes in on the boat and we head up the hill. It was steep and thick, I thank myself for not being stupid and trying to sneak up on that bear through all this. He would have made me for sure. We finally get to him after about 10 minutes or so of climbing and he is a BEAST! First shot hit him double lungs, nosler partion did its job and cleaned them out of a golf ball sized hole in his back, second shot hit him right in the spine just aft of his should blades. We took some photos and got him off the hill, that was the easy part. We dropped his guts on the beach and we were about to get to work but the tide flip brought some nasty waves with it. The boat was getting pounded onto the beach. We needed to move quick and get out of there. We decided it would be best to load the whole bear into the boat and get out of there. Over the next 25 minutes we got the crap kicked out of us. I have to guess this monster weighed around 300 lbs. Probably much more when the 6 plus inch long hair got wet. Thankfully there was a ratchet strap aboard. We tied it around his lower half and with me in the boat and my partner out we heaved him onto the deck. It took another 10 minutes to get the boat off the rocks. An effort that earned me a bath in PWS. The waves did not relent on the way back and it took well over 2 hours to make port. ALL WORTH IT. Rough measurements, unstretched, were just over 6 ft from nose to tail, skull was roughly 15 in from nose to base.Bear.jpg

What a blessing. I could not have asked for a better bear. I am so grateful for the opportunity to harvest such a magnificent animal. All the waiting and hard work just makes it that much sweeter.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Nice looking bear.......congratulations.

Congrats.... Enjoyed the write up!

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    What a blessing. I could not have asked for a better bear. I am so grateful for the opportunity to harvest such a magnificent animal. All the waiting and hard work just makes it that much sweeter.
    Right on.....it's a nice'n...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Congrats and enjoy some good eating.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congratulation! Enjoyed reading the story, thanks for sharing! I took a similar bath off Admiralty Island a couple years ago while trying to load a deer in my father-in-law's boat and keep the boat and prop out of the rocks. Makes for a few exciting moments!

And now my itch to go bear hunting is getting itchier....

Good job, C6. You earned him. Congrats!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Congratulations! Great stalk and hunt! Thank you for sharing the story!

congrats brother you earned it
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Big congrats to you! Fair chase, good shooting, good sized beautiful bear and great pic. Life time memory for you. Way to go!

That's an awesome bear! Congrats!

Great job! Looks like a good sized head!
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Gorgeous bear and great write up!

Awesome, good for you! Hoping to finally get my first bear this year! Awesome write up and hope some of that rubs off on me this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Leryt View Post
    Awesome, good for you! Hoping to finally get my first bear this year! Awesome write up and hope some of that rubs off on me this year.
    Good luck to you on your first. A bear has eluded me for a while so it has by far been my most satisfying accomplishment. I bet you will feel the same when you finally connect.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Congrats man! Get it sealed today? Curious to skull measurement. Still some big boys around out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice, way to be patient and not rush in!

Nice boar - well done!

Congrats on a great bear and thanks for sharing with us!

Very nice Bear! Congrats!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast