Thread: Backcountry extraction insurance, anyone use it?

Default Backcountry extraction insurance, anyone use it?

Just started shopping, what do you guys use?

Lifemed had a 49 per year on their site im going to buy it

Inreach offers it as well when you sign up for one of there plans.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    Lifemed had a 49 per year on their site im going to buy it
    Question: If you are in danger but not actually injured or sick, will Lifemed perform search and rescue?

No! You get the booby prize instead.

My point or thinking...If you're in the backcountry and have an emergency worthy of immediate rescue there's a chance it could be non-medical in nature. I don't know how a guy can push the button on his plb or other device and be assured the first responders will be the ones he wants...or whose services are covered by the insurance.

PLB button goes right to RCC. (rescue coordination center) They decide what resources to send. In general, if they don't have contact with you and get the trouble signal, you are going to get a decent response. The nice thing about who the RCC sends, you won't have to pay a thing if it's a real emergency. Generally they are going to send the Troopers, Coast Guard or National Guard. The Coast Guard and National Guard always launch with medical capable personnel on board. The Troopers, not so much.

Sat phone is the way to go if you need to talk to someone.

The only time you have to pay is when you call on one of the private outfits like LifeMed or Guardian. LifeMed or Guardian do not do search and rescue, and they have greater weather and terrain restrictions than the Coast Guard or National Guard.

You have to look at each company's capabilities and make your choice. This isn't just all about emergencies in the field. My health insurance coverage for flights is horrible. If I burst an appendix on the Haul Rd. (happened to one of my employees) an emergency trip to Dead Horse and medevac to Anchorage on an airplane is going to be expensive. Massive head injury requiring a flight to Seattle? Going to be a hefty bill.

Guardian does airplanes and excels at it. Life Med has helicopters and airplanes, but less bases in the bush hubs. We currently carry insurance for Guardian, but I discovered on renewal that I wasn't covered for a helicopter flight. I will most likely buy both insurances to cover myself well. $175 a year to cover all my bases isn't too bad considering how much I have to lose financially.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'm looking at LifeMed too, and it's good to understand the limitations of each vendor. The Lifemed $49 deal covers a household of up to 4.

Apollo Insurance

Regarding the subject of this thread, back country insurance, the only company with high level medical care that can respond to a backcountry medical emergency(assuming you have a sat phone to call for more than just search and rescue) is LifeMed with their helicopters. Guardian does not have any. The range of those helicopters is generally restricted to the South central up the Parks, over towards Rainy pass, out the Glen towards Glenallen, down the Kenai. That is a pretty darn big chunk of country with lots of people at play in the backcountry. If you play in that area a lot, your back country medevac with high level medical care would be covered by LifeMed insurance providing you already have medical insurance with medevac coverage. That is a requirement of all medevac membership plans. In addition to that, they have fixed wing aircraft covering the entire state with rapid response times. Those same planes can also transport you to the lower 48 if needed. And lastly, LifeMed has the only Neonatal, high risk OB and Pediatric specialty teams.

Yes I have a bias, but those are the truths as I know them.

Recommend you check out Global Rescue (https://www.globalrescue.com) as they will extract as well as transport to medical care. Good Luck
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"