Thread: One More Month!!!

Default One More Month!!!

Getting excited. My family and I are getting ready to spend a month out at our remote property building our cabin. This has been a lifelong dream of mine and it's been a long time coming. Any words of wisdom from the veterans? Any last minute things I should do, double check, make sure to pack etc. before we embark on this adventure. I think I've planned everything down as carefully as I possibly could, but you never know. There's a few odds and ends we are still taking care of. What to do with some of our pets when we are gone, maintenance on all my essential tools, and picking up last minute supplies.

Make sure your tetanus vaccine is current. Don't forget your bug dope. Also peanut butter, pilot bread, and ramen....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Jack, The fact of life is the best laid plans of man and mouse go a stray. You have done your planning but there will be things that you will want that is not there. Go and have a good time.

I'm planning on bringing a boatload of Thermacells when I head out in June. Deet and headnets too.

Do you have a means of emergency communication? We have cell phone coverage at our property, but I will also be bringing my Delorme InReach. That or a sat phone for when there is a bizarre chainsaw accident. Also should have a premium first aid kit. Might want to have some practice with a suture kit.

Good block and tackle for setting up a gin pole. The Army handbook on rigging looks really useful. FM 5-125

When building remote, I start at the ground, go thru my mind everything I will need as the cabin starts to get taller, making a list of everything needed to make it happen. even the number of nails needed. if you will be using electrical outlets, count every one of them, take 10 percent extra, for those you decide to add. Make sure you have enough fuel to run the gen set and get in and out on your machine. Extension cords, heavy duty, seems that someone will drop something on them or they get cut someway. A distribution box for the gen set, seems everything needs to get charged or plugged in. Mix gas oil if you will be using your chainsaw. Bar oil is an important thing also. You will probably be cutting firewood so a lot is needed. I always take extra fasteners to leave at the cabin for future use. Bolts, nuts and washers of various sizes seem to always come in handy. Silicon sealer can be used like glue if needed. Wire nuts of the appropriate size are handy to have a few extra of. Just write it down if you think of it and you should be just fine. Gerberman.

Good advice everyone. Keep em coming. Fun to read the suggestions.

Don't be disappointed if you don't get as far along as you hoped.
    Weather can wreak havoc on your plans. Of the 7 weeks I was at my site building I lost a week or so to weather.
    Mostly high winds when I was sheathing the roof. Was safer to chill than get blown off the roof.
    I did get pretty far along considering I did this completely by myself including hauling 15,000#'s of lumber to the site during late winter.

You don't have a landable gravel bar nearby, do you? If you did, I'd be up for stopping in from time to time to see if you need extraneous supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Don't be disappointed if you don't get as far along as you hoped.
    Weather can wreak havoc on your plans. Of the 7 weeks I was at my site building I lost a week or so to weather.
    Mostly high winds when I was sheathing the roof. Was safer to chill than get blown off the roof.
    I did get pretty far along considering I did this completely by myself including hauling 15,000#'s of lumber to the site during late winter.

Hey Drifter,

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like the footprint of your cabin is going to be significantly bigger than mine though so hopefully it won't be a problem. But I know what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You don't have a landable gravel bar nearby, do you? If you did, I'd be up for stopping in from time to time to see if you
    need extraneous supplies.
    I'm not sure Brian. I'll look into it. I know there is an airstrip about 3 or 4 miles from my cabin site, but I believe it is a private strip. I'll look into it though. Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Getting excited. My family and I are getting ready to spend a month out at our remote property building our cabin. This has been a lifelong dream of mine and it's been a long time coming. Any words of wisdom from the veterans? Any last minute things I should do, double check, make sure to pack etc. before we embark on this adventure. I think I've planned everything down as carefully as I possibly could, but you never know. There's a few odds and ends we are still taking care of. What to do with some of our pets when we are gone, maintenance on all my essential tools, and picking up last minute supplies.
    I think the most important thing to bring is ingenuity. Try as you might, you will forget some stuff, something will break, or things won't go together quite as you envisioned. That's when it helps to be creative and figure out a different way to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    I think the most important thing to bring is ingenuity. Try as you might, you will forget some stuff, something will break, or things won't go together quite as you envisioned. That's when it helps to be creative and figure out a different way to get it done.
    Some good Scotch helps in those situations!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Hey Drifter,

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like the footprint of your cabin is going to be significantly bigger than mine though so hopefully it won't be a problem. But I know what you are saying.
    Jack
    My place is 24'
    X36' with 12' high side walls.
    It will have a 1/2 loft and the square footage is about 1250 sq'.

My first week @ the cabin was a pain as I kept finding things I needed but didn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Jack
    My place is 24'
    X36' with 12' high side walls.
    It will have a 1/2 loft and the square footage is about 1250 sq'.

My first week @ the cabin was a pain as I kept finding things I needed but didn't have.
    Wow. That's nice. I'd love to build that big. That's bigger than my house. Good for you. You and your lady are going to enjoy that. We are going with a 16 x 20 with a half loft and 10 foot side walls. So I take it you balloon framed it with 12 foot studs?

So I take it you balloon framed it with 12 foot studs?
    ..Yup..

Wow. That's nice. I'd love to build that big. That's bigger than my house. Good for you. You and your lady are going to enjoy that.
    I'm lucky as it's not too far from town and not too far off the road here.
    Makes it pretty easy to get into town if I need something.
    It's about a 20 minute drive from my house to the boat launch and then 1/2hr boat ride up the lake to the far end.
    In winter there is an ice road that runs right past my place about 1/2 mile out so very easy to get to.

It's bigger than my house (trailer) too.

It's just me and the dog no wife/girl in my life.
    It's easier that way.

Another thing to not forget is heavy plastic sheeting, can be used for many things, and reused after putting on the roof before you get the roofing on. It can cover a wood pile or pile of lumber, make a covered area to store equipment. I get the 6 mil on a roll, have had to cover the whole roof when I ran out of time, when I came back it was nice and dry inside after a lot of rain.

Set realistic goals and don't be upset if you miss a few as previously said.
    We take a nap every afternoon after lunch. There is a lot of daylight and you tend to work too many hours if you don't nap. Productivity crashes towards the end of the trip. Pack lots of water for drinking unless you have plenty, I do not know your situation. Meals can eat up a tremendous time between prep time, cooking and cleanup. Better to assign 1 person to plan this task and ask for help as required. Girls use about 10,000 times as much TP as boys. What is your plan for showers? These can be a huge pick me up. We go to Denali park or B and C laundry in Fairbanks. There is another place in Clear but never used it, again, I do not know your situation. Laundry?

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Set realistic goals and don't be upset if you miss a few as previously said.
    We take a nap every afternoon after lunch. There is a lot of daylight and you tend to work too many hours if you don't nap. Productivity crashes towards the end of the trip. Pack lots of water for drinking unless you have plenty, I do not know your situation. Meals can eat up a tremendous time between prep time, cooking and cleanup. Better to assign 1 person to plan this task and ask for help as required. Girls use about 10,000 times as much TP as boys. What is your plan for showers? These can be a huge pick me up. We go to Denali park or B and C laundry in Fairbanks. There is another place in Clear but never used it, again, I do not know your situation. Laundry?
    Good tips and pointers. We will be taking showers/baths in the lake. We will be doing laundry in the lake. I know what you mean about the TP. We will prepare for that.