Thread: Best QD Rings and bases

Default Best QD Rings and bases

Hey guys just bought a Weatherby Dangerous Game Rifle in 375 H&H and am looking to use quick detach rings on it to still utilize the open sights. I've never used them and was looking for your thoughts, opinions and experiences on this topic. Thanks for any input received.

My advise is to be sure you mount the scope so that the turret housing is firmly pushed up against the front ring, so as to stop scope shift under heavy recoil. There are several good brands available. I am fond of the EGW Base, if I really want quality. Quality cost more money.

NOTE: I would only use rings with square "LUGS"

https://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=egw_store
    http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=249&pg=1

I've been using a set of Talleys for about 25 years and if I had it to do over again they'd still be my first choice. If eye relief precludes AGL's advice, a very slight film of Clover Compound inside your rings will prevent any slippage too. http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/P...e-w-Lever.aspx
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Got it. Great advice guys I appreciate it!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by akarmy View Post
    Hey guys just bought a Weatherby Dangerous Game Rifle in 375 H&H and am looking to use quick detach rings on it to still utilize the open sights. I've never used them and was looking for your thoughts, opinions and experiences on this topic. Thanks for any input received.
    I would suggest the Weaver Quad Locks. Or, the Leupold QRWs. Also, the PRWs, if you don't mind taking a wrench along.

Your choice of scope might be more important. Or, to put it another way, you need some leeway as far as mounting surface, not only for room to mount, but maybe some more to obtain enough eye relief. Sometimes, the Width of the Rings makes a difference

I've never used a picitinny rail, but those should have advantages in that regard.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    My advise is to be sure you mount the scope so that the turret housing is firmly pushed up against the front ring, so as to stop scope shift under heavy recoil.

[/URL]
    I would NEVER do that. It could damage the scope.

There are other ways to solve that problem that are not so Mickey mouse.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Interesting comment..........J.D. JONES of SSK Industries (The "WORLD" experts on massive recoil scope mounting and product invention) would take exception to your opinion........

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I would NEVER do that. It could damage the scope.

There are other ways to solve that problem that are not so Mickey mouse.

Smitty of the North

Interesting comment..........J.D. JONES of SSK Industries (The "WORLD" experts on massive recoil scope mounting and product invention) would take exception to your opinion........

Boy, do you get things mixed up.

First of all, I never said JD Jones wouldn't do it. I said "I" wouldn't do it.

AND, I'm the one taking exception to HIS opinion, not the other way around.

Besides, I'm sure that NONE of the scope mountings on ANY of my various and sundry rifles would lend to such an idea.

Isn't it time you stopped depending so heavily on your selected experts and applied some of your own expertise?

You can doit. I know you can.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Have used talley and luey qd. EAW was by far the best I've ever seen. One hand operation, peep sight stands up outa the rear base...wow. Best I've ever used.
    Currently using Alaska. Arms llc quick detach on my ruger. They are really nice as well. However my scope has slid
    Back as far as it can, I can't even adjust
    My power it's pushed back so tight.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Only one out of the five pictured has got the turret against the ring and I'm not sure about that one, it goes fuzzy when I blow it up for a better look. That would be the bottom one of the three together.

I have never used QD rings. Most rings have the big screw driver slot and come off in seconds with the back side of a knife blade. If you mark the position of the slot when tight then you can take them off and put them back on and if you tighten them so the slot is in the original "marked" position then they are torqued close enough. Point of impact will be close enough for most hunting applications. It has worked for me with most any Weaver style ring.

My guns that don't have sights wear the talley ring/base set up. I also have fixed power Leupold scopes on these guns. I think this set up is as indesrtuctable as it comes. 6x for varmints, 4x for open country deer, 2x or irons for in the woods. My target guns have some big scope but they are a whole nother creature and what applies to hunting guns don't usually apply to them.

Many claim Talley to be the best. I have used the Warren QD set up for may years with no problems and prior to that it was the old Weaver set up.
    I have heard good things about EAW. I still think the integral Ruger base system is a great idea and some one made QD Rings for them.

I am getting Talley QD Rings for my old Featherweight Mod. 70 in 30-06 if I can ever get Brockman's Rifles to return a call so I can order their pop up receiver sight made on a Talley base.

Alaska arms llc in big lake makes QD rings for the ruger base and they are sweet!! Have them on my 416 ruger.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I used the Warne qd on my 375 ruger with no issues and the leupold QRW on my 338WM also with no issues. They both worked as well as i could expect, easy on and off with no major impact shift after R/I. When I mounted the scopes, I set them right where they needed to be for max eye relief, then put just one drop of red loctite on the bottom ring after lapping. the loctite distributes itself upon tightening and provides for a very good no slip fit. basically glue the scope in the rings.