Thread: Halo Bay

Default Halo Bay

Would like to run friends down to Halo Bay to do a little Bear Viewing. On floats and looking for advice landing in the stream. I see a number of planes in the creek and looking for the do's and dont's.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mid June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We go there a lot from Kodiak from June through August. Got an early report that the river where we land had changed a lot from last year. Was told you could walk across it in Xtratufs, which doesn't bode well for landing there on floats. I'll post more once we get some more info. Bottom line is there are lots of sand bars that don't show up in the glacial water, so you want to be sure of where you are landing and then where you are going to beach it. With the current and winds, it's easy to get caught drifting downstream with no easy way to turn around and no way to take off.

Thanks Henny please keep us posted

Used to land often in the salt just outside of Halo bay - was the first part of the season for Timmy Treadwell. Plus we did some bear viewing there out of Kodiak. Bay is situated such that there always seemed to be a calm(er) spot to touch down in during all but the worst swells. I even put some mountain climbers in there during the winter. They wanted to do a winter ascent of "Devils Desk." Crazy! I think Uyak Air used to land there all the time and provided waders to their guests to get to shore. Pilot just needs to be super aware of the tide as there are areas of the beach that can be shallow and get shallower fast.

Other than that, I would land in Little Kaflia Lake (essentially the Bear Maze is right there where the river exits from Upper Kaflia Lake into Little Kaflia lake) but you would need a 185 or Beaver (or 206 if you are good) to get out.

Or you could land in Kukak bay just about anywhere although there are some rocks close to shore in places.

Lots of bears in Hallo bay area although they move fast once the fish start and the berryies start growing. Have fun. Andrew Airways in Kodiak is a good source for info on the day-to-day conditions. I think at least one airtaxi out of Homer goes there pretty regular too.

So we've been going over there pretty regularly for the last week or so. I second everything that BeaverDriver said. The river is workable but sand bars have been coming and going. Our procedure is to land in the narrow section of the river and park above or below. We almost always bring a guide and leave the pilot with the plane, but on occasion we have tied it up good and left it there for a couple hours. The river has a little tidal movement, but nothing like the bay. Attached is a graphic I did to try and illustrate. Always fly over and look for the dark water. Where you see that, the water is only a couple of inches deep.

Hallo Bay Graphic.jpg

Thanks Henny that's great info. Thank you so much

Here's some video footage of the river.