Thread: Kasilof Update

Default Kasilof Update

Went down on Saturday night and boy did it suck. I thought there'd be more fish but the 6 hours I spent dipping I saw that only 5 got banked and I only had one bump. The counts were the lowest (what timing) they have been on that day. Going to hit the Kenai on the opener, with any luck the commercial guys won't be out the day before.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default dipnet from shore

Hi Robb,

I am heading down to Homer for 4th with my wife. Thought to stop on the way at Kasilof for some dipnetting from the shore. Could you please recommend spots where I can park and walk to the river?

I would appreciate any tips.

Thank you.

Rosen

Rosen,
    You may be in for a shock. You have two choices, north bank or south bank. Flip a coin, man, they are both going to be very crowded, but don't let that stop you.
    The north bank you can get closer to the water without a 4x4, so consider that. If you have a 4x4 I would consider the south bank. The north bank has the best spot (the sharp inside corner with all the people stacked together), but all could be hot if the fish are allowed through without commercial gill nets out.
    I've been there once, but that's what I know and I hope it helps. Good luck.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Yup

Wildog; that pretty much sums it all up. I usually take a 4 wheel drive so I can drive/back up to the water's edge. This year the river is very different though; there's a large shallow dam effect in the mouth of the river and where there is usually a pretty strong current on the north shore it is very mild. So the hot spot on the point is pretty well toast as there is no staging hole for the swimming dinners to rest in before being scooped up by the net. lucky little buggers.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Thanks for the tips!!!!

Thanks for the tips!!!!

I'm heading down this weekend. Would anchoring a raft just offshore help any? Or is it not worth the trouble and just as good from the bank?
    Thanks
    tjm

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I'm heading down this weekend. Would anchoring a raft just offshore help any? Or is it not worth the trouble and just as good from the bank?
    Thanks
    tjm
    If you don't have a motor it might be a good idea. find a hole though, find an eddy, somehwere they are gathering up a little.
    If you have a motor use it! (even electric). Travel downstream with nets open and they will swim right in.

would you consider it safe without a motor or are the currents too swift?
    thanks for the reply
    tjm

Default Smile when you are dip-netting guys!

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    would you consider it safe without a motor or are the currents too swift?
    thanks for the reply
    tjm
    I think it's kind of a bad idea, but if you had an anchor and you didn't get into the middle it might be ok. You might even get into a good spot you couldn't get to on foot.
    Here's what I would worry about:
    1. Commercial guys. Many of them don't like you being there with your dip nets, and they are also really busy so they are going really fast back and forth in pretty big, like over 20 foot, boats tending nets and stuff. They don't like you being in the way and though some are cool, many are usually not too nice about it.
    2. Current. It'll be a fight and you'll lose in the strong tides. You would be ok if you anchored and stayed in shallower water because if it started taking you out you could just row to the beach pretty easily, but you may end up 100 yards downstream.
    3. Other netters. Without a motor you may get swept into their nets and some guys are a little grumpy dip-netting. Many dip-netters are not there to have fun, they are getting their share of fish and some of them are frowning and competitive. (not like a recreational fishing trip at all for some). Many guys are not even fishermen, but they are there to get their fish and don't want anyone in their way.
    We had a lot of fun in a boat last year, we had a drift boat with a 9.9 honda.
    good luck I hope you get a load of reds!

I'm heading down next Tues or Weds to try my luck either at Kenai or Kasilof. Any ideal when the commercial boats fishing days are?? Found a schedule once but can't remember where its at.

Default Schedule

Here's the schedule and link to the commercial stuff you need to know before you go:

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...=400&submit=Go
    (updated link - the other one got changed to this one too)

Also a phone # you can call will also give you the latest and greatest (I've found it's the most up to date with a daily report) news on escapment and commercial openings. 907-262-9611

This should cover it.
    Last edited by Back Country Robb; 07-04-2007 at 21:16. Reason: wrong link

Took quick trip to dip on the 4th of July. 4 fish after 1 hour then it shut off. Commercial guys going out by noon for 2PM opening that day. Waiting to Kenai opens now.

Talking

Thanks for the updates. Well 4 fish is better than zero. I plan on hitting the kenai in a couple of weeks well, but my plans are as sure as the weather here. Good luck all.