Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Halibut from shore

Default Halibut from shore

Kinda day dreaming of trying to fish halibut from shore down on kodiak. At low tide I can get pretty close to where it drops off at the mouth of the creek. Seen sea lions out there eating them, figure a 13' surf rod might launch some bait out far enough.
    What kinda rig would be a good set up for fishing the bottom from shore?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I've done a fair bit of it over the years, or at least up until 8-10 years back. You're pretty close to right on the money, along with the question of timing. August is definitely best when the butts move up near the river mouths to nosh pink salmon. Only difference being, with the halibut #'s low right now, catch rate has almost certainly dropped since I was a regular.

Surf rods will work, but I found an even better solution. I pulled my pontoon boat down to the water's edge. Use it to row out and drop the line where you want it, trail line as you row back to shore. Rod holder and comfy chair right there on the pontoon boat to help pass the hours on the beach. Once I started doing that I ditched the surf rod and used one of my usual boat rods. Best beaches for me were Twin Creeks, Myrtle, Roselyn, Olds, Pasagshak, and the sand spit out past the bunkers at Cape Chiniak. Start at dead low tide, with most fish coming in that first couple or three hours of the flood.

You can cast quite a bit further with the 15' surf rods. They are pretty affordable on Amazon. Give er the ole roundhouse cast.

Apparently a few guys have been using compressed air/potato gun to launch bait. I've heard they hook their leader to the bait then freeze it inside a piece of abs the same size as the gun. Drink two beers while it thaws slightly, then slide it down the barrel with weight on top and boom.

Have not tried it but it sounds like a fun way to lose an eye

Lol sounds like a fun way to loose or burn anything!! Ha
    BB I'll be quite a ways off the road system, not sure how halibut numbers are down island farther. How far can you lob a sinker and bait with a surf rod anyway?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Kinda day dreaming of trying to fish halibut from shore down on kodiak. At low tide I can get pretty close to where it drops off at the mouth of the creek. Seen sea lions out there eating them, figure a 13' surf rod might launch some bait out far enough.
    What kinda rig would be a good set up for fishing the bottom from shore?
    Try one of these and let us know how it goes.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ng-with-Drones

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    How far can you lob a sinker and bait with a surf rod anyway?
    Depends on how it's set up. Back when I was doing it, everything was mono and braid was but a wet dream. We had to use about a 30' "shock" leader of 50#, followed by a spool full of 25#. With that, my rod, and a 6 oz weight I could pretty well huck 75-80 yards. Guys with better gear and more skill could do better.

Today I'd spool a spinning reel right up to the brim with 40#-50# braid, and with the right rod I bet even I could beat 75 yards. I won't claim more than 100 yards though.

Dunno about the waters you're contemplating, but I'd sure be looking for the mouth of a humpy creek with a drop-off withing casting range. Hang onto your hat though. Some really good halibut will lay just off that drop. My son-in-law got a 135# back in the day, and it just about eat his lunch fighting it from shore. Bud was fishing from a skiff thankfully, cuzz he hooked a 325# in 15' of water. And followed it a long, long ways out into deep water before landing it.

Check out youtube Isee them using drones from shore

I'd be doing this in November, salmon carcasses floating back out the river. Like say, seen sea lions out there eating them so I know they are around.
    Master guide 212

10' surf rod with a Diawa slosh, 50lb chock leader and 17lb mono, once I got reel tuned 150yds was my max while fishing. That was 5oz of lead and a bait that was slim and tough. Bigger baits, softer baits, lighter or heavier leads changed my distances, but the 5ox with small bait was my sweet spot.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Might be worth taking a look at our Alaska Surf Fishing Page on the main site. Some tips that might help. I would consider a 12' rod for starters. If anyone has suggestions of additional things we could include there, let me know!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Sounds like octopus might be a good option for a surf bait that might last a bit longer. I gotta give this a shot....
    Master guide 212

If you have the opportunity, you might try it in September/October. I'm in Homer, and our halibut start to migrate out in late August. Still enough fish around all winter long to get a limit from a boat, but your odds from shore might be reduced by waiting that long. But.....if November is your only chance, then it's the perfect time!

Let us know!

Cod bellies were always my favorite for strength and halibut appeal.

Ya November is the only time
    I'll be around. So looks like it'd be perfect! Lol I know they are out there, seen stuff eating them on the surface before. Tons of little rock fish, got a family of river otters that sits off shore and slays them every day. Gotta be something out there id imagine.
    Master guide 212

Take a look at slingshots at bonniville dam for getting your bait out or they use to use remote control boats

Lots of good info on distance casting from across the pond. One video shows a bloke casting 859' .

this video explains the 'easy cast' method .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRCTVm-LxY

800'???? Geez take a tide change just to reel that back up to check bait!!
    Master guide 212

Default Halibut from shore

Here's an idea.

If I was going to give fishing for halibut from shore and I want to get out there a 100 yards to a mile. I'd go down to anchorage house hobbies talk to Ryan tell him you want DJI drone 2 set up to drop things should be about 500/600 dollars. They are easy to fly and your off fishing. Or buy a kayak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

There shouldn't be any need to pack and use a $600 drone or a bait cannon etc.
    No need to keep frozen projectiles for the cannon either.
    Just buy yourself a decent surfcast rod and reel and you'll do fine.
    I've used 8' salmon rods and landed butts off the beach before.
    If it's a sandy beach I would use a frog tongue sinker.
    A rocky beach and a storm sinker would be a better choice.
    The peninsula beaches have been hot lately and I've been selling a few of the frog tongue sinkers to some of the fishermen and gotten a few first hand reports.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Pretty sure it's more of a rocky bottom rather than sand. Ya not spending 600 bucks to do this. Just wanna see if it'll work first!
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast