Thread: No reason to protect your batteries cables with a fuse or is there?

Default No reason to protect your batteries cables with a fuse or is there?

What could go wrong?
    I know of one guy that remove a battery to charge it. When he put the battery back in he put a wire on the wrong terminal. Another guy remove the positive battery cable from the terminal strip and it fell on the aluminum hull. One boat had to have the control cable going to the engine replace the other got lucky and replace several ground wires. If the builder had follow the ABYC recommend method of wiring a battery ground circuit there would have been far less damage. But that not the reason for my post.

There is a local manufacture that has a history of doing poor quality work and I heard of another
    builder that sells boat in Alaska that also does not put a protective cover over the aluminum edges that battery cable go through leaving a sharp edge to cut through the cables and catch the boat on fire if there is no fuse in the batteries circuit.

If it was not for the fast thinking of the owner being on the boat at the time when a cable shorted we would be reading about a boat burning up with people on it.

Protecting the wiring from sharp edge is with out saying. It may be impossible with out removing all the cables or cutting a access hole. Until then installing the proper size fuse may save your boat.

Supporting Member

Good post! A negative bus bar on the negative and a fuse panel on the positive are good ways to protect your equipment and make adding circuits nice and easy. I'm a fan of battery selector switches or isolators too!

I agree with MacGyver and Troy Sharp... Pay attention to your grounds. A simple Blue Sea Marine Rated Battery Fuse Block with a properly rated fuse may be all you need to do. Cheap insurance for about $45.

I just did some wiring on the boat and reached around a corner in a tight spot and ended up going to get the back of my hand glued back together and a tetanus shot. A very jagged edge of aluminum and lots of wires. Now there is a piece of flex trim on that edge. At the same time I found another problem that would have been bad if I was 60 miles out.

Thanks for the post

Thank guys for the kind words.

I thought about adding more information about the ground system. In the past I've found it best to take baby steps when making recommendations to not overwhelm people that are not as knowledgeable as you guys.

Installing a resettable breaker between the battery cable and the main distribution device whether it's a Pergo switch or fuse panel is a great way to protect your wiring and add safety. The benifit of a resettable breaker is you don't need to have a large amperage spare fuse. Many company's make DC breakers for automotive and marine applications.

I do love the advantage of being able to reset a Circuit Breaker. But if your wanting to protect a high amp circuit a MRBF or CLASS T fuse is a better choice.

Circuit Breaker are not recommend for low voltage (12v) high current DC main circuits because they do not have low internal resistance, can not handle high current or give the same lever of protection. If you trip a 300 amps CB you have a major problem....do you really want to reset it before finding out what cause the problem?

I recently worked on a boat that had 20 plus feet of 00ga. Cable before any fuse or disconnect, this cable was bundled with every other wire and control cable and the fuel line for the heater. It only took one simple ice cube fuse to remedy