Thread: propane installations

Default propane installations

Can someone who is knowledgeable about propane installations please pm me. I would like to get some propane appliances installed in our remote cabin & I'm having trouble figuring out what I need. We put in a tankless h/w heater last summer- but after buying several parts, the thing STILL isn't hooked up. =( I am also buying a propane refrigerator & I'm not understanding what all I need,

I've googled it & keep seeing have a gas guy come install. (yeah, haha, right!) The more I read, the more I realize that I don't know. I asked my dad & he tells me to go look at his place & check it out. well, that' awesome, but I need to buy the parts BEFORE I head to the bush (his cabin is near ours).

The plan for now is to connect each appliance to it's own 20# tank. I'd like to upgrade to at least 40# tanks at some point. The Paloma take a 3/4 in and the refer takes a 3/8. As far as I can tell they need a regulator. (twin stage maybe?) So, if they are independent they EACH need their own regulator- but if I combine them, they can share? The reason for the independent tanks is to keep things simple for this trip & not have to make a run of gas lines.

First I would say get rid of the idea of trying to use 20# tanks that would be nothing but a PIA.Get your self a couple of 100# and install a switching valve so that when one runs out all you have to do is flip a lever and you change out the empty tank at your leisure.It would always go empty just when you are in the middle of cooking or what ever. The best thing to do is lay out a drawing and estimate the length that you will need for each run. Go with 1/2 in. for your main run and use the same to the water heater. Then go with 3/8 to the fridge and cook stove. The water heater and stove would empty a 20# in a heart beat. By using the bigger tanks you will get away with one dual stage regulator.By using the drawing you will be able to move along and get the right fittings for each joint. You would use a fitting to go from the 1/2 to the water heater.
    Last edited by Big Bend; 04-30-2016 at 13:24. Reason: additon

I'd agree with twin 100 pounders, depending on the cabin access. 100 pounders can be a real PITA if access is challenging. Even here on the road system I've ditched my 100's in favor of 40's just to save my back. The fridge is going to go through a fair amount of gas tho, so... Regardless, dual tanks with a switch valve and single regulator is the way to go. There are charts online to help you select the proper diameter feed line (required diameter depends on length of the run and the total volume of gas required to feed the appliance(s)). 1/2 inch line might not be sufficient for the on demand heater in combination with the fridge... Also, if that Paloma is a pilot light model, I'd install a valve in its line and keep it shut off when not needed. Continuous pilot lights consume a shocking amount of gas.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

yeah, probably not going to get the entire system hooked up this spring. Our place is not road accessible (but we're on a river). We have tons of projects & my husband will be there only a limited amt of time. (our plans & my wishes for propane inconvenience- may not totally work out)- so I'd like to have the ability to hook up my stuff. The range is already connected. We get about 3 +/- weeks from a 20#. The refer is new & says it uses 1.29 gpd. It's all refer, no freezer- as I have a chest freezer. The HW htr- I plan to turn off when not needed. If I can get stuff hooked up, we'll have time to find a perm spot for tanks & measure for a perm hookup.

I agree with all above, do a layout of everything that will require propane and figure a start point that the twin 100# will be located. FYI don't locate bottles in the eve sides of the house only on gabled ends or they will get barred in the winter with snow and ice. Start point is the tanks and that is where your regulator will be located. You can do the switch tank or tie in parallel its up to you on that, my house is twin 100# and they are parallel and never had a problem. Also if you plan on being at the cabin in the winter try and locate bottles on the sunny sided as well.

I would suggest running 1/2 black pipe for your gas lines and when installing that put a T in anywhere you may have something in the future and just run a plug for now. 1/2 black pipe all the way to your flex pipe will be more than ample for no more than what you will be using, and it will be easier to have enough parts if they are all 1/2. Once all lines are run do a pressure test for leaks. The chances you will have a leak are slim if you use good pipe dope and all fitting are tight but air on safety.

Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    The chances you will have a leak are slim if you use good pipe dope...
    Highly recommend Harvey's Formula 55; the best pipe dope known to man.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You are right that is some stuff.
    [
    QUOTE=iofthetaiga;1538398]Highly recommend Harvey's Formula 55; the best pipe dope known to man.[/QUOTE]

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I agree with all above, do a layout of everything that will require propane and figure a start point that the twin 100# will be located. FYI don't locate bottles in the eve sides of the house only on gabled ends or they will get barred in the winter with snow and ice. Start point is the tanks and that is where your regulator will be located. You can do the switch tank or tie in parallel its up to you on that, my house is twin 100# and they are parallel and never had a problem. Also if you plan on being at the cabin in the winter try and locate bottles on the sunny sided as well.

I would suggest running 1/2 black pipe for your gas lines and when installing that put a T in anywhere you may have something in the future and just run a plug for now. 1/2 black pipe all the way to your flex pipe will be more than ample for no more than what you will be using, and it will be easier to have enough parts if they are all 1/2. Once all lines are run do a pressure test for leaks. The chances you will have a leak are slim if you use good pipe dope and all fitting are tight but air on safety.

Good luck
    Are you recommending 1/2" ridged black iron pipe to run to all the appliances? Seems like it would be a pita bringing a pipe threader out there to cut and thread the pieces that you need..... Unless you are talking an easy layout and using the 1/2" pipe for a main trunk and then branching from there with flex.
    Our camp was ran using all copper flex and a flaring tool. The stainless flex pipe is even easier but I'm not sure what is more expensive; the brass fittings for the stainless are sure expensive. I know you don't need quite as big of lines for propane as natural gas requires but I am not a expert on sizing. I ran 1/2" black iron (for propane) in my own house supplying a furnace, water heater, dryer, and oven and it was plenty.

I ran flex line from the tank to 3/4 pipe then to a central location into 3/4 black pipe header (w 3/4x3/4x1/2 Tees) then used lowes flex line 1/2 to all appliances with shutoff valves at each appliance (Rinnai wall furnace, rinnai outdoor tankless hot water heater, Weber propane grill, and GE stove). Amerigas or suburban should be able to hook you up with a regulator for the two 100 lb'ers or larger). I did this all myself except the propane regulator.
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20