Thread: Evinrude manual tilt assist....

Default Evinrude manual tilt assist....

Looking for somebody that knows about these things before I have to run it down to some shop. It's on an Alaskan 40. Another guy I know has one on his engine and it does exactly that.......assists nicely when lifting. Mine, however is hard as hell to lift. It's been this way since I bought the boat a couple years ago and I just haven't messed with it yet. But my back isn't like it used to be and sure would like to get it operational if possible if it won't cost me an arm and a leg. The cable looks good and I don't see anything physically wrong with it. All I know is that it doesn't want to come up without all kinds of help from me. Is there a good chance the cylinder is shot? Any other ideas? I just don't know anything about them....

Thanks for any input...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Been doing a search on the net and the one thing that others seem to have a problem with is the engine locking up in the up or down position, or the cable being broken. Mine can still go up and down and the cable seems to be fine as when I manually lift the engine the lever will hold it up or let it down. That's why I'm wondering if the lift has actually just lost pressure, and I do believe I read where they are not serviceable?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Been doing a search on the net and the one thing that others seem to have a problem with is the engine locking up in the up or down position, or the cable being broken. Mine can still go up and down and the cable seems to be fine as when I manually lift the engine the lever will hold it up or let it down. That's why I'm wondering if the lift has actually just lost pressure, and I do believe I read where they are not serviceable?
    If you can't service it you might look at something like this "tilter"...http://www.amazon.com/Dotline-Adj-Mo...d+motor+tilter Looks like a pretty cheap/easy do it yourself project if a guy didn't want to buy one.

I bought two new rams over the years until I bought a power lift. Evinrudes, which I dearly love, have junk rams. I wish they just redesign them.

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Your best bet is fleabay, I had several commercial 65's and the assists were not serviceable. I know what you mean, when they went out it took me, a large chimp and a small boy to get the danged thing up! On one of them I just replaced the whole taco with a power unit off a 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    If you can't service it you might look at something like this "tilter"...http://www.amazon.com/Dotline-Adj-Mo...d+motor+tilter Looks like a pretty cheap/easy do it yourself project if a guy didn't want to buy one.
    Yeah, I think that's next on the list...........lol

Make sure the ram is not locked

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah, I think that's next on the list...........lol
    I made one for my used to be neighbor a few years back. Got a bike handlebar end grip, then found conduit it would fit over snugly. Slathered adhesive on a dowel rod and stuffed that into the conduit then cut the main and lifting handles from that. Made the aft "cowling clasper" out of 3/16 x 3" aluminium angle with 1/8 neoprene glued to contact surfaces to prevent marring. The front part was mainly epoxied and glassed plywood. Could have done a nicer job on that part but it worked fine and he could tilt his 70 hp no sweat. A whole lot lighter and cheaper than one of these...http://www.cabelas.com/product/Panth...Zu5BRCS_OuVibu

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Fellow co-worker went to Anchorage yesterday and picked one up for me at Bass Pro while he was there. Just tried it out....it works and makes it a "bit" easier, but it's still kind of a bi*ch. Is anybody here familiar with these tilt assist cylinders? I'd like to pull it off and make sure it's not "something else?" that is the problem. I can see that it wouldn't/shouldn't be that hard to pull, but I don't want to take a chance of messing it up any worse by taking it off as it will still let the engine go up and down. Would hate to have it lock up like others have had happen.

Oh and btw..... my boss has a little newer version of my engine also with the same tilt assist. It still works and sure makes it super easy to lift that engine.