Thread: Cod or Pollock near Haines

Default Cod or Pollock near Haines

Is it possible to get P-Cod or Pollock around Haines? Call me a heretic but I love cod just as much as halibut. What times of year, or how far out and what type of gear?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I can't answer any of your queries, but as to being a heretic, nonsense...! You've just got good taste. (Hey, are u trying to butter me up?)
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Pollock are plentiful out Homer all I could hook to yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

The only amount of P-Cod I ever ran into up in the Haines area was on the flat between Seduction Point and Talsani Island. I did a lot of commercial crab fishing up there in the 80s and 90s, and we would see P-Cod come up in our pots if we set in this particular area. In the last number of years there has been an explosion of Pollack in Stephens Passage, upper Chatham Strait, and Icy Strait so some of that specie may have moved into the Haines area, too. Most of the Pollack I have seen in person were in the bellies of Kings or Coho, and they ranged from 4 to 10 inches in length.

A spot you may want to try with weighted jigs and some "Butt Juice" scent is over on the NE side of Taiya Point and between Indian Rock and Low Point (on the east shoreline). The locals like to drop shrimp pots along those edges and I suspect there are some P-Cod over there slurping-up shrimp. You'll be dropping down to 100 - 150 feet. If you get out and about with a sounder and run across signs of feed, you can just about always find a few predators hanging around for an easy meal.

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    The only amount of P-Cod I ever ran into up in the Haines area was on the flat between Seduction Point and Talsani Island. I did a lot of commercial crab fishing up there in the 80s and 90s, and we would see P-Cod come up in our pots if we set in this particular area. In the last number of years there has been an explosion of Pollack in Stephens Passage, upper Chatham Strait, and Icy Strait so some of that specie may have moved into the Haines area, too. Most of the Pollack I have seen in person were in the bellies of Kings or Coho, and they ranged from 4 to 10 inches in length.

A spot you may want to try with weighted jigs and some "Butt Juice" scent is over on the NE side of Taiya Point and between Indian Rock and Low Point (on the east shoreline). The locals like to drop shrimp pots along those edges and I suspect there are some P-Cod over there slurping-up shrimp. You'll be dropping down to 100 - 150 feet. If you get out and about with a sounder and run across signs of feed, you can just about always find a few predators hanging around for an easy meal.
    That's interesting. There's a boat launch only about 5 miles from Seduction Point so that'll definitely be on my list. I appreciate the info.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Is it possible to get P-Cod or Pollock around Haines? Call me a heretic but I love cod just as much as halibut. What times of year, or how far out and what type of gear?
    Fishing up Excursion inlet a few summers ago we found Cod near shore down to 200' in fairly calm waters. Caught on herring.

Fishing on POW for the last 17 years, the Cod were right near shore in 30 to 80' where the bay water's silty bottom transitioned to cobbles and gravel - brick sized stuff.

Tipping a jig with bait helps if you aren't catching anything but I've found these fish bite anything moving in front of them. I had a 4 oz lead head jig with a 6" shad swim bait on it. Killed 'em till the plastic got shredded or yanked off. Tossed the bare lead head back down and they kept on biting it just as much. Pretty much any metal jig bounced off the bottom was catching Cod consistently. Tap, tap, tap, lift, pause, fish on!
    Attached Images Attached Images