Thread: Diesel Heater Fuel Pump Noise

Default Diesel Heater Fuel Pump Noise

So we have a Webasto heater that makes a pretty loud click during operation. Apparently Espar's do it as well. It's professionally mounted using the factory hard rubber bracket that came with it, and has solid copper tubing connected to it. Has anyone figured out an easy way to quiet these down? I've seen on the trucker forums where they are mounting them on the other side of the truck etc. Some folks built a box to house it. Others suggested cutting the copper lines and splicing rubber tubing in to reduce the vibration/noise. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Slip a beer can coozie over it, helps a bunch..
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Cut up the beer coozie and roll the little pieces up into ear plugs. Kidding aside, I have an Espar D4 in our new Hewes PE and the pump is in the starboard deck cabinet, so not even in the cabin, and at night, sleeping on the dinette you can hear CLICK, CLICK, CLICK all night long.

I put a piece of foam pipe insulation over it which helped a teeny-tiny bit. Another member suggested some vinyl sound insulation from Alaska Rubber which I picked up today and plan to line the area of the cabinet adjacent to the pump to see if it knocks down the sound a bit. Expect it will help--the location of mine essentially acts as a sound resonator.

If this idea fails, I'll just use it as a sound excuse to drink more before turning in at night.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I just mounted my Planar cabin heater fuel pump last night and Brian at BK services suggested I mount the pump on a piece of yoga mat foam. I haven't got to the point where I can test it yet so I don't know how well it works but it's an easy thing to try

If you can mount it loosely it is practically silent.
    Mount it so the pump is held in place vertically but not necessarily by the rubber bracket. Fuel line is holding the pump in place so it clicks quietly as it cannot resinate very well and the pump is wet in the vertical position further dampening the click.
    Next best thing is to mount in a spot where it wont click and resonate through the boat. Install a piece of foam, yoga mat, etc....between the rubber pump bracket and the mounting surface.
    Isoate and muffle the pump.

Also buried in a locker on the back deck is nice as distance helps too.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Go to Your Local Gun Shop And Pruchase a LimbSaver recoil pad for a 45/70 rifle and use that as a thump saver instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmmm I have an espar d2, had a d4 in another boat and installed a Planar in a Tolman. None of the 3 had pulse pumps loud enough for it to be an issue. Maybe the pump is suspect? Once heater is up & running should quiet down considerably.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I put my pump for my espar D2 in the starboard locker that is up against the rear cabin. Just used what was in the van kit. The fuel lines are plastic come to and going from it. It is barely audible in the cabin. Wife sleeps on that side and I usually put an audio book on the Bluetooth when we turn in so I don't hear a thing. Maybe the D4's are louder due to more volume.

All of those pulse pumps make some clicking noise. As other have said, it's the hard mount that causes it to resonate thru the hull. Most people use a small piece of something soft to quieten it down. it doesn't take much. I wedged a small piece of sponge back there and it's almost inaudible now.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I like the sound of mine, let's me know it's working. Then again I sleep like I died and nothing really bothers me when I sleep.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I always equate the lovely thump, thump to a warm diesel stove and a sleeping bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I like the sound of mine, let's me know it's working. Then again I sleep like I died and nothing really bothers me when I sleep.
    That is how I always know its working when I hear clink.....clink

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I had an esbar in my old boat it and it made a clicking noise also, I never tried to dampen it tho. I now have a wallas and was thinking it would do the same but it is extremely quite. I have not looked to see what they did to soften the noise or if that is just how the wallas is.
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"