Thread: Emergency order for Sitka area - reduced limits on pelagic rockfish

Default Emergency order for Sitka area - reduced limits on pelagic rockfish

So I noted with some interest that a new emergency order was just put into effect on 4/25 for the Sitka area. The previous limit on pelagic rockfish (mostly black rockfish) was 5/day, 10/possession. The new limit is 3/day, 6/possession.

The EO says that this is the result of increased angler pressure on rockfish since 2009, which I assume is when the 1/day limit on halibut was imposed. But, that's sort of the nature of fishing. When your desired species is restricted, you direct effort towards other types of fish.

I do believe it won't be too long before we see an EO that limits cod to some small number per day.

Doesn't seem like a bad move IMO. These rockfish can only withstand so much pressure. I think that a 3 fish per day bag limit is still a fair limit.

Wouldn't surprise me if Southcentral goes that route, with the guides hitting the bass holes day in and day out bringing in hundreds of bass every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Doesn't seem like a bad move IMO. These rockfish can only withstand so much pressure. I think that a 3 fish per day bag limit is still a fair limit.
    Oh, I'm not saying it's a bad move. Just interesting how changes in regulations change the species we target, which in turn creates a need for new regulations on those species.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    Oh, I'm not saying it's a bad move. Just interesting how changes in regulations change the species we target, which in turn creates a need for new regulations on those species.
    Got that right. Close kings on the Kenai and everyone pushes to the neighboring river. Close sheep here and everyone crowds there.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I'm sure the fish cutters throughout southeast Alaska will rejoice if the entire region went down to 3 black bass. IMO, they should just make it all of SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    Oh yeah I didn't mean anything towards you in my comment! As a whole though I've felt even before now that rockfish populations can't withstand the pressure on them. Pelagic rockfish and non pelagic rockfish alike such as yelloweye are such incredibly slow growing and long lived fish that decades of harvesting mature fish that average older than the fisherman is bound to take a toll in the long run. I feel like tightened bag limits on rockfish are long overdue. I know how much pressure the SE alaska rockfish stocks take, I can only imagine how hard the rockfish biomass gets hit out of somewhere like Seward or PWS.

Honestly I wish this order would apply to all rockfish in all areas. After watching the incredible pressure applied to these fish by the charters it's only a matter of time before another management train wreck occurs.

Management cares about getting all of the gold out of the goose right now. They don't care about the future. They can argue it all they want, but the proof is in the pudding

Rather than limit the fish being caught by reducing bag limits, reduce the number of fishermen. Make people draw out for a permit.