Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou Hunting ADAK ISLAND SEPTEMBER 2016

Default Caribou Hunting ADAK ISLAND SEPTEMBER 2016

I am planning to go to ADAK Island for a 1 month hunting Caribou. I have read a lot about Adak Caribou hunting on this Form but I have not seen anything that is more recent like 2015 or 2016.

I have already booked the housing and a rental truck there.

Now my first question

Is September is a good month to hunt Caribou in Adak ?

Also is the South East area still considered the best for Caribou hunting at the Adak Island?

Does anyone hunted Caribou there this year that can share any stories about seeing Caribou at the Island ?

Thanks a lot

September is a good time to be there. Often the horrible weather will take a break for a day or two each week in the fall.

The southeast area of the island is the hardest to get to on foot. A few mountain passes and large lakes are between there and the end of the road in Finger Bay. Packing a caribou by yourself from there will result in meat loss as you can't keep it cool enough for long enough. And it will get wet.

The southwest arm of the island has always held the largest concentration of caribou. Its also hard to get to, but has fewer mountain passes to climb over, but its also farther away.

In September the temperatures will still be fairly warm and you will only have a day or two to get the meat into a cooler or freezer before it starts to rot. Going beyond the current native lands where ATV use is allowed means you will be hauling the meat on your back. Depending on your fitness level that could be two trips or up to four or more. All depends on the size of the critter and you.

I used to guide caribou hunts on Adak.

I didn't hunt in September for two reasons:
    1) The caribou were for the most part on the southern end of the island (they start to move northward in October).
    2) It cam still be foggy in September (especially early on) and the caribou will be on top of the peaks obscured by fog.

South and west are where most of the caribou seem to hangout, especially during the summer. But, regardless, if you plan to hunt on the south end of the island you are in for an epic hike-in expedition. The last I heard there really isn't anyone out there to take you to the south end of the island. Even if you could find someone, there's no guaranty that they'd be able to get back to pick you up due to weather. I know of two guys who tried that once, and after a seven day wait had to hike back and leave their antlers and half of their camp behind.

I had a friend who went out there late last October they took a couple of mediocre bulls. The caribou seem to have wised-up a little and have altered their northward migration pattern somewhat.

Sorry for the rather un-encouraging report, but things aren't what they used to be on Adak.

Thank You Very much for all the info. Good to know so I don't waste the time and money. I will hold back till Oct than.

Caribou didn't readily move to the road system with reliability until late January this year. Even then for many it was usually a hike to high points to spot and stalk from off the road system to the western shore or behind Heart Lake toward Husky pass to fill a tag. A lengthy hike ...or sno-go was in order to get that meat out. Most other successful groups prior to January had to put in hard hiking full days to the south over Husky pass or behind Lake Betty to get their chances. Groups (4-6) of guys could muster getting one or two out in a full day. Stories of individual hunter/hikers struggled having to make multiple trips which equaled spoiled meat ... or eagle food. Much more work involved now to achieve the same opportunities that was afforded to most folks in years past to pad the freezer. The increased pressure from the October/November hunters year over year has definitely altered the migration pattern of the animals and when the leaders are cut off at those choke points -- they head elsewhere including the opportunity to make the short swim across to Kagalaska Is.

This year I took the pup and opted for birds.

^^^^^^^
    That's pretty much what I've been hearing.
    A couple of reminders; the bigger bulls will start losing their antlers in mid to late November, and no bulls may be taken between January 1 and August 9th (cows only).
    If you have to leave meat unattended in the field for any length of time (between pack trips) you can keep the birds out of it as long as nothing like bone or anything red is sticking out of the end of your meat sack. Also, put the antlers upside down over the meat and a small tarp bungeed to the antlers.

My buddy and I are planning a trip for 4 guys and we were thinking Mid November. Around Thanksgiving maybe.
    We've been planning this trip for about 8 months now but can't get anybody else to commit. We were originally going to go because the first guy who started planning this wanted to come up for Thanksgiving, but now he isn't going. So now we are trying to find the rest of a party. The other guy has been once but this will be my first trip. I'm following along to see the responses. Good topic SAM.HASSAN6!

Just returned from a trip down there. There were plenty of cows and calves down in Gannet Lake and Teardrop Lake area - didnt see any bulls though. We wound up taking four cows between 5 hunters (three of our were teenagers). If I had more time I would have liked to strike off towards Lake Leslie Ann and Lake Susan (west of teardrop). Good luck!

I am heading to Adak August 13 and am planning on hiking in and camping in the Gannet Lake area. Any tips? Do I need my Xtratufs or will my hiking boots work? Do you think this is a good area to camp?

Following along, I am heading there start of Nov.

Have fun with the weather. Good luck catching a flight out, you might end up being there a little longer than you planned. All I have to say is there's closer caribou than Adak. But still a hell of a place.

Good hiking boots with ankle support.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Drool View Post
    I am heading to Adak August 13 and am planning on hiking in and camping in the Gannet Lake area. Any tips? Do I need my Xtratufs or will my hiking boots work? Do you think this is a good area to camp?
    The trails I grew up on around Lake Betty were pretty muddy side-hilling nightmares when hauling meat back. I would not use xtra-tuffs. They are designed for wet boat decks and suck balls when on slippery muddy side hills. The top soil out there is a degraded volcanic ash that acts like clay. Modern lugged rubber boots would be much better.

The valley for the creek that drains Gannet to the west would be a good area to hunt as well as the "rolling" hills on the south side of the creek. The same goes for the valley headed west from the back end of Lake Betty. Packed a couple piles of meat out of there in my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The trails I grew up on around Lake Betty were pretty muddy side-hilling nightmares when hauling meat back. I would not use xtra-tuffs. They are designed for wet boat decks and suck balls when on slippery muddy side hills. The top soil out there is a degraded volcanic ash that acts like clay. Modern lugged rubber boots would be much better.

The valley for the creek that drains Gannet to the west would be a good area to hunt as well as the "rolling" hills on the south side of the creek. The same goes for the valley headed west from the back end of Lake Betty. Packed a couple piles of meat out of there in my youth.
    Thank you.

Sam:

Besides being a long trip out and very expensive hunt most of the "Big" Raindeer/Bou were taken a few years back. The weather is tough as well...So, why did you choose Adak?

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Sam:

Besides being a long trip out and very expensive hunt most of the "Big" Raindeer/Bou were taken a few years back. The weather is tough as well...So, why did you choose Adak?

Walt
    I have wanted to go to the Aleutians and hunt caribou. Hopefully the weather cooperates, but if not we will still have a good time.

It amazes me the "why would you want to do this" that everyone brings up. We live and hunt in Alaska...this is what it's all about! The chance to go hunt this amazes remote island is such an amazing opportunity I can't pass it up. I suppose to each their own right? Also I don't think it's that pricey. I paid 15k in miles. The house and truck for a week is 2300 bucks, not bad for 4 guys. We will fly in our own food too. I'm super pumped to go =) Also getting a heavy barrel for my 22...going to do some ptarmigan sniping =).

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Sam:

Walt
    They are not reindeer. They are caribou from Nelchina. Atka has reindeer as do the Pribilofs and Kodiak.

It is one of the most stunning places in this state that you can get to on a jet aircraft. If the weather doesn't kill you, which is really only tries to do for a couple days a month. Most the time its just really annoying and you have to not be bothered by being wet and having the wind blow anything not tied down away.

Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post
    It amazes me the "why would you want to do this" that everyone brings up. We live and hunt in Alaska...this is what it's all about! The chance to go hunt this amazes remote island is such an amazing opportunity I can't pass it up. I suppose to each their own right? Also I don't think it's that pricey. I paid 15k in miles. The house and truck for a week is 2300 bucks, not bad for 4 guys. We will fly in our own food too. I'm super pumped to go =) Also getting a heavy barrel for my 22...going to do some ptarmigan sniping =).
    Hell sounds like a blast have fun
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post

Been there, done that. Had a blast with my sons!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast