Thread: Cast 45 ACP trouble

Default Cast 45 ACP trouble

I'm using a RCBS 230gr. RN sized to .451 that I cast myself. When I set it to the proper depth the bullet is too long and get crammed into the lands. It will not chamber and I needed to use the edge of my work bench to pull the slide back. So I seated it deeper and got the same results. So I seated it till it would chamber but I could not extract with ease. Still getting into the lands. So I went a little deeper and it chambered and extracted , but now when I shot, the round gets hung up by the brass while chambering. I'm using My XD for all this. I don't have this problem using jacketed rounds, so why so much grief with the cast rounds?

Your chamber is not cut for that bullet.

The RCBS 230 RN has the driving band relatively high on the ogive. If you notice, jacketed bullets don't have a driving band, and the point it reaches .451 is further down the length of the bullet.

Your choices are to ream your chamber, or change molds (FWIW, the cheap Lee 200 H&G 68 clone is a reliable alternative- works great in my XD and 1911's).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I cast the Lyman 452374. It doesnt have the driving band and shoots very good out of all my 1911's and the Glock 21. That RSBS boolit would work better in a revolver in my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up Akheloce. The first 45 mold I ever got was a Lee 6 cavity, 230gr TC. I got her up to temp and got about 10 pours into it and the spur plate broke off just above the handle. I was so disappointed in it and pitched it in the drawer and forgot about it. So I replacedit with the RCBS and didnít really use it till I got a Ruger, New Vaquero. Thisrevolver came with a 45 colt and 45acp cylinder. So I didnít notice my acp problem till I started loading for my XD. Youíre rite fishnut, it does work great for arevolver.
    Iím not sure how well the TC well work in the XD, but I went ahead and called MedWay to order another spur plate for the Lee mold. If it breaks again, Iíll have to find another mold. I hope the Lee works out because I want to start loading 9mm and a 6 cavity goes so much quicker.

I also use the Lee 452-255 for my 45LC. Once you get it up to temp it will spit out some fine boolits. Lee's feel flimsy to me but the are lighter than Lyman molds and it makes it easier and quicker for me. I sometimes have to stop for about 10 minutes to let it cool down. Thats my casting beer break! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fishnnut View Post
    I also use the Lee 452-255 for my 45LC. Once you get it up to temp it will spit out some fine boolits. Lee's feel flimsy to me but the are lighter than Lyman molds and it makes it easier and quicker for me. I sometimes have to stop for about 10 minutes to let it cool down. Thats my casting beer break! LOL
    I've heard with the Lee's you can set them on a wet sponge for a sec to cool them so you don't have to wait.

Yes you can do that. I have a fan by me blowing the lead fumes out the garage door while casting. I just put the mold in front of it for about 30 seconds then back to it. If you get those molds to the right temp, you can bust out a lot of good boolits in a short time.