Thread: Same question from Shellfish subforum...

Default Same question from Shellfish subforum...

Bunch of views, no answers, posting it here.

Anybody?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...shore-question

I used to catch them from shore with rod and reel off Homer Spit several years ago and had no problems. In fact I learned how by watching several other's doing the same thing.

I am not sure what the correct answer is. I would call the troopers and ask them; ultimately they will be the one writing a potential ticket. I would be extremely amazed if you were able to catch a dungy from shore here in Sitka, let alone a legal male. I have heard of people jigging/catching them using fishing poles in other parts of southeast, never seen it done myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I am not sure what the correct answer is. I would call the troopers and ask them; ultimately they will be the one writing a potential ticket. I would be extremely amazed if you were able to catch a dungy from shore here in Sitka, let alone a legal male. I have heard of people jigging/catching them using fishing poles in other parts of southeast, never seen it done myself though.
    The quiet bays on POW are full of Dungies and Red Rocks. I was trying to get some spiny dogfish but kept reeling in crab after crab last trip. No trap or snares. They just held on all the way in.

I contacted Bob Chadwick at AK f&G and asked him. Waiting for the answer.

Anythingalaska gave you some good advice, call the wildlife troopers. ADF&G manages the fisheries, but their folks are not necessarily always up to date on the regulations. Either call the AWT Ketchikan post at (907) 225-5118 or the Juneau post at (907) 465-4005. It's the troopers who will write the ticket if you're in violation, so best to hear it straight from them.

With that said, I believe the answer you will get is that rod & reel is not a legal means/method of take. While you posted the shellfish rules for means/method of take in Southeast, I think you left out the most important part, which read "Shellfish may be taken only as follows:" Since rod & reel was not a method listed, I believe that means it is therefore prohibited.

Good luck!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by double tap View Post
    Anythingalaska gave you some good advice, call the wildlife troopers. ADF&G manages the fisheries, but their folks are not necessarily always up to date on the regulations. Either call the AWT Ketchikan post at (907) 225-5118 or the Juneau post at (907) 465-4005. It's the troopers who will write the ticket if you're in violation, so best to hear it straight from them.

With that said, I believe the answer you will get is that rod & reel is not a legal means/method of take. While you posted the shellfish rules for means/method of take in Southeast, I think you left out the most important part, which read "Shellfish may be taken only as follows:" Since rod & reel was not a method listed, I believe that means it is therefore prohibited.

Good luck!

Chris
    Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. This will be my 18th trip to Alaska and 17th to Prince of Wales Island. Although I have yet to intentionally fish for crabs, I have pulled a few Red Rock and Dungeness up off the bottom with a rod and reel while they hung on with a claw to my baited hook. Tossed 'em all back after a photo and visual observation since the crabs I'm familiar with are the Atlantic Blues.

I am waiting for the fisheries guy to respond and will contact the Troopers if I don't hear from Bob Chadwick soon.

No problem here hand tossing a weighted crab snare off the dock. That's where we clean our fish and the crabs are down there as well as a gazillion Cod, Sculpins and Giant Sunstars.

do let us know on what you find out from the troopers SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    do let us know on what you find out from the troopers SID

Will do.

In my "lizard brain" ...a rod and reel nearly equates to a hand operated pot puller. But I will obey the regs however they are worded and subject to mis-interpretation.

Kind of like the big broo-ha-ha about the legality and ethics of how a fish - (sockeye in particular) is caught when hooked "in the mouth". Sockeye fishing is pretty much a non-issue on POW as the fishery ain't there.