Thread: Handi-Rifles again

Default Handi-Rifles again

I know that H&R shotguns are SB1 frames and the rifles are SB2 frames. My 35 Whelen is not stamped SB2. I bought the gun used...how am I going to know that some one did not just mate a 35 Whelen barrel to a shotgun receiver?

I am at work as I ponder this and the gun is at home. Is that even a possibility? SB2 receivers are heat treated to handle rifle pressures and shotgun receivers are not. Any Handi-Rifle experts out there?

I can't say that I read the fine print on the receiver but do know that where the SB2 is stamped on my other HRs this one has nothing.

Did Remington actually produce some of the Handi-Rifles?

There is a visible difference in the recievers.The sb2 has a gap in the frame in front of the barrel hook pin. I can't describe it well but there is a good discription on the Graybeard forum. That's where all the H&R experts hang out. It's real easy to see if you are comparing an sb1 and an sb2 but I don't quite know how to explain it without pictures and I don't have an sb1 to take pictures of anyhow. If you have both, the sb1 is a solid frame and the sb2 is skeletoned. Sounds backwards but it is easy to tell if you have both or have seen the difference. If you post a picture of the frame without the barrel from the top I can tell you.

Ok, I did some thinking and I think I can splain this. Remove barrel and look down at the front of the reciever. If it is straight across where the forearm fits it's sb1. If it's cut away in the middle leaving just a left and right nub that the forearm pivots on it's an sb2. And yes it is possible as either barrel will fit on either frame. I believe the structural difference is the material. I believe the sb1 is cast iron and the sb2 is steel. It may be cast steel vs forged steel but there is a for real difference in the strength of the two. A 35 Whelen on an sb1 frame would be asking for disaster.

SB1's two on left - SB2's on right...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yep. You can also see the rough finish on the non machined part of the sb1 as well as the casting line down the middle that the sb2s don't have and the little nubs at the front sides of the sb2.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    SB1's two on left - SB2's on right...
    Thanks Smokey, Rbuck, it is indeed a sb2. In fact it has the 4 followed by the arrow just like the one sb2.
    Looking at the pictures side by side I would say the SB2s are milled steel and the SB1s are forged pot metal.
    Thanks again.