Thread: Boat lights

Default Boat lights

What kind of lights are you guys running on your boats? I just bought a ranger tug 21 ec. Has the spot light on top the cab and when traveling at night it really blinds you on the hand rail. Thinking of ordering a some LEDs but wanted to hear what others are using and where they are mounting them to look clean and be out of the way. I like to travel at night, I have radar but I still like to see what the waves are doing. Thanks

Best to mount as far forward as possible to reduce glare.
    If possible mount on the rail right at the nose of the boat or in the hull just under the cap.
    To mount in the hull you will need something like this: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/aqua-s...09_277_001_526

I would definitely go with LED lights though as they last longer, are brighter and use less power.
    There are plenty of different LED light bars out there that will do the trick but would be better mounted on the rail or combing.

I have a couple of ebay LED light bars on my vehicle and they were quite inexpensive (especially when compared to Rigid) and they work great. I have under $300 invested in my 2 light bars and 2 cubes and they throw light close to a mile!!!!

''eyourlife'' is a brand on Amazon that uses cree bulbs and has a great reputation. Been running their light bars on the ocean boat and front of the truck as a test. So far, after almost 2 years, they are still working great.
    Recently ordered in some bigger ones to install on airboats.

Location can be tricky due to glare as you mentioned.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by bboy View Post
    ...I just bought a ranger tug 21 ec... I like to travel at night... Thanks
    Have to travel at night...

2nd nod to the super affordable Cree LED lights on Amazon.

Sobie2

My first attempt at an Led bar on our boat. Its a twenty inch eBay special with cree leds.. Not enough light to run at speed and still getting glare off the hand rails. Work in progress. Thinking of making a small deflector to help with the glare.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Curious if mounting something off the radar arch would prove beneficial in relation to the angle and possibly avoiding glare from bow rails. Haven't added lights to the Hewes Explorer yet, but on my want list. Keep eyeing where smartest place to tuck away would be. Also whether to go with two of the round 4.5-6" Leds or a bar.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Attachment 89058
    I have 2 of these on top of the boat and no glare. They are 80w and 6* angle. Got them straight from China. It is hard to find them with small angle beams or the bars with just spot and no flood LED.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Our bar is mounted on the radar mount overhead, so it lights up the anchor puller as well as the surrounding aea.
    I dont intend to run at night but have used it to reposition and keep an eye on the shoreline a few times.
    Running after dark might require them to be in a different location.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

For this very reason I am considering painting my rails flat black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    For this very reason I am considering painting my rails flat black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A flat light gray might be a better choice.
    No glare and will blend in with the aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    My first attempt at an Led bar on our boat. Its a twenty inch eBay special with cree leds.. Not enough light to run at speed and still getting glare off the hand rails. Work in progress. Thinking of making a small deflector to help with the glare.
    OK, so here is my idea for your boat.
    A piece of 3/16"-1/4" sheet aluminium mounted using 4 1/4" stainless U-bolts to the rail.
    Make it wide enough to mount your lights on and deep enough front to back that the lights can be placed just in front of the rail.
    With the plate you could mount one on top and one underneath suing the same mounting bolts and get twice the illumination and no glare as it would be the furthest forward piece on the top of the boat.
    You could also put 6" lights facing port and starboard to light up shore and narrow channels.
    Here is a crappy paint diagram. FYI the plate would be mounted under the rail with the U-bolt nuts hidden on the bottom side of the plate. The plate could be notched out in between the rails so as not to lose that space like with your current set up.

That is a great idea, I used the rod holders to make the light removable to prevent theft and to take it off when I didn't need it.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson