Thread: Catching Dungeness crabs from shore question.

Default Catching Dungeness crabs from shore question.

Can Dungeness crabs be harvested from shore in the same fashion in Alaska as in California?

That is being caught with hookless, baited, snare traps which are cast out with a surf rod then reeled back in after a short soak with crab(s) ensnared.

The regs for SE AK state allowable gear to harvest crabs as "crab may be taken by pots, ring nets, diving gear, hand, dip nets, and hooked or hookless hand lines."

Rod and reel is not mentioned which leads one to believe "not allowable gear" as a hand line has no rod or reel just line and a fixed spool.

Other than spinning around the baited and weighted trap and tossing it with a mighty heave ho a shore angler would be limited in catching opportunities.

So could a throwing device other than ones hand be used to toss the baited trap out into the sea? Like a pole with a hook or cup on the end or a sling or bungee launcher?

I've even seen the videos of the Hawaiian Ulu anglers now using a drone to haul bait 'way out there' and also air cannons.

Not wanting to go to that trouble but do want to get a trap out past the tide zone to the crabs from shore.

on my trip last year I caught a number of Dungies and Red Rock crabs while bait fishing off the dock but only took pics and threw them back. This summer i would like to eat a few while there. But want to harvest them by the regs.

TiA - Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd eat that

watch the regs on Size , an when it is open to take crab, as well as the limit, I have no idea on when, or how many you can take , just check the book
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    watch the regs on Size , an when it is open to take crab, as well as the limit, I have no idea on when, or how many you can take , just check the book
    SID
    Got the regs- non-res=3 males, 6.5" at the notch, per day. And the above allowable gear.

just wondering if the rod and reel (not mentioned in the regs) with crab snare is allowed or JUST hand line and crab snare. Difference being the distance one could cast the baited trap out.

a few years back F&G set the record straight on some of that like a very big birds nest of old Mono line with bait in the middle , because a lot of people were doing it for your question as F&G as some of the REGS. are not in that book, so ask there would be no questions remain ,
    I know what I would do SID

Call Troy Tydingco with ADF&G in Sitka. 907-747-5379
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Call Troy Tydingco with ADF&G in Sitka. 907-747-5379
    Now there's an answer! Thanks.

The lodge I'm staying at may offer the crab pots to us to use with our info put on the buoys and not the lodge info as per regs.

So long as we drop the pots and pull them and the boat captain or mate does nothing, as per regs, we're good.

If not, I want to eat some Dungies that I harvest from shore.