Thread: Mountain rifle optics

Default Mountain rifle optics

So I am putting together an ultralight mountain rifle. Looking for a very light weight optic to top it. Also looking for input on a fixed or variable power scope. I have two in mind the fixed is a Leupold fx 2 6x36 which weighs 10oz or the variable vx3 2.5-8x36 which is 11.4oz. Anyone have any input on these which would be enter or any other glass recommendation. This is my first mountain rifle so looking for any input at all. The rifle will be a Remington 700 mountain ss in 7mm-08. Anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Trevor.

I've got both of the scopes you mention. Either would work for a dedicated mountain gun- I've used a 6x36 for several years on my .300WSM and it works just fine. I have a real affinity for fixed 6x scopes. Dead simple and they just plain work out to any practical range.

In the alpine, close encounters and low light shooting are pretty rare-so turning down a scope to 2x for bayonet duty at dusk isn't really much of a factor. The 2-8x36 is a top notch scope, but I have to admit...I shoot nearly everything with it set to 5-6x. I'd probably save the 1.4oz and just go fixed 6.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I've been hearing good things about Minox scopes...my hunting partner put one on his .300 h&h, really likes it. I need a new tube for my pump action ought 6, looking hard at this brand. German glass, assembled in US, and the price is hard to beat....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Both scopes are good options imo, but like hodgmen said I really like my fixed 6 scopes. I never find myself wanting more or less magnification, seems to be the perfect balance for me anyway.

I would agree with using the 6. On my scopes that have more, I turn them down to 6 when it's go-time.

I have had a vx3 2.5x8 on my ULA .284 for about 30 years now. I was happy with it. I always used the full power on long shots but was happy to have the lower powers for walking in the thick.

2.5-8 awesome scope
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I went with the vx-3i 3.5x10 on mine.
    It's a little heavier @15oz, but I like the versatility of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I went with the vx-3i 3.5x10 on mine.
    It's a little heavier @15oz, but I like the versatility of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correction! 13.10 oz

I love my 2.5x8 vx3

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've got both of the scopes you mention. Either would work for a dedicated mountain gun- I've used a 6x36 for several years on my .300WSM and it works just fine. I have a real affinity for fixed 6x scopes. Dead simple and they just plain work out to any practical range.

In the alpine, close encounters and low light shooting are pretty rare-so turning down a scope to 2x for bayonet duty at dusk isn't really much of a factor. The 2-8x36 is a top notch scope, but I have to admit...I shoot nearly everything with it set to 5-6x. I'd probably save the 1.4oz and just go fixed 6.
    Good advice.
    Also, I think you (O.P.) are on the right track with the scopes you mentioned. I've yet to see a Leupold fog-up in the field.

I have the 2.5-8 and it has been fantastic. I like to be able to crank it up for long shots, yet I want no more than 2.5x on shots in thick brush! I know on a mountain hunt you think wide open shots, but sometimes the bear is in the thick stuff on the way up to the wide open places. I think you will be happy with the variable power during that scenario, especially with a load of meat on your back.

The Leupold 2.5 x 8 by 36 mm rifle scope is my all time favorite Alaskan hunting scope. Plenty of power for long shots and works good in the brush when set on 2.5 power.

I think the Vari X III on my .338 is over 25 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    2.5-8 awesome scope
    I have the same and it's a great scope.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I have a real affinity for fixed 6x scopes. Dead simple and they just plain work out to any practical range.
    Ditto; 'nuff said.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I guess that is kind of true even with other scopes. I'm running a 4-12 but leave it on 6 or 7. I just was trying to get something with the x42.
    But I generally just hunt and unless something is a good ways off and you have the time....your shooting with whatever you leave your gun at.

2.5-8 vxiii.

2.5 x 8 is hard to beat, ALL things considered. I use almost exclusively Leupold. Have had good service from 2 x 7 and 3 x 9 Leupold ultralights as well as Mark IV 4.5 x 14 on ultralight mountain rifles, but unless you pretty much know the circumstances you expect to find yourself in when you have to take your shot .... the 2.5 x 8 is hard to beat. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"