Thread: Tustumena Lake

Default Tustumena Lake

Has Tustumena opened up or are we still a few weeks away? Also curious as to who owns the cabin towards the head of the lake.
    Thanks.
    Goody

Highly doubt the lake froze this year. There are some public cabins if you look on the refuge website. Not sure if people with private cabins will let people they don't know stay there.

Appreciate the response and probably should have elaborated a little more. We're fully knowledgeable on the forest service cabins and reservation process. Also not trying to obtain permission to stay in the cabin, just curious as to who owns it. We prefer tents on the beach and bears eating hot dogs from our coolers. Keeps us from hiking over dead fall and coming home looking like coal miners from the soot left over from the fire(s).

Jim Tayler owns the cabin next to the Berg cabin. And if I remember correctly the big cabin up in corner used to be called Blake's cabin....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The lake is fully open. Flew over it last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lake is fully open. Flew over it last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure none of the big lakes, Kenai, Skilak, nor Tusty froze all the way over this past winter....

Thanks for the update. Headed that way in a couple weeks with the hopes of finding a few bears. When entering the lake, do you suggest staying to the right due to the sandbar or is it deep enough to head straight across towards caribou island? If I remember right, there's a sandbar on the left side...

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Thanks for the update. Headed that way in a couple weeks with the hopes of finding a few bears. When entering the lake, do you suggest staying to the right due to the sandbar or is it deep enough to head straight across towards caribou island? If I remember right, there's a sandbar on the left side...
    This time of year I don't chance it anywhere near the mouth of the river.....it's shallow pretty much everywhere around there. Depending on how shallow I've been known to lift the engine a little sometimes, and then always idle straight through the center, stay to the right for at least 100 yards or more, then slowly veer towards Caribou Is. for around another 300 yards or so till it starts dropping off....

I hope the Earthquake helped us with the sandbar.
    Last year during Morel season we headed to the lake. Found 18" of water crossing the sandbar at its deepest point.
    Early in the year it can be hard to get across it in bigger boats.
    Fortunately we had GPS tracks to follow to keep us over the deepest part and a hydraulic jack lift on the 20' boat we were in.
    Good luck and stay safe.

BTW watch out for the USFWS or other refuge staff up there. 2 years ago they landed their floatplane next to my dads 20' boat to tell him his boat wasn't safe on that lake and he should leave. He been there dozens of times in his boat and feels he can do so safely.
    Then he pointed out they were flying in weather they should not have been(low ceiling).
    My dads a pilot and pointed that out to them and they just gave him excuses on why it was OK for them to fly in weather he would/should not fly in.
    So don't let them harass you!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Crazy that USFWS would fly in on floats to tell your Dad that he shouldn't be there due to weather. Would have to think that being in a boat on white caps would fair better than being on a couple floats... We'll be in a 20' grayling so I'm more concerned on hitting a rock or being beached on the sand bar entering the lake than the lake itself. If it's ugly, we'll hang out on caribou island until it flattens out enough to make the run up the lake. I've read plenty of horror stories regarding the lake so it has my full respect....

It wasn't even rough water at the time.
    My dads cousin and his wife were visiting and she wanted to see some bears.
    My dad looked at the flying weather and the ceiling was too low.
    So they went by boat.
    So the weather was fine for boating but unsafe for flying in mountainous terrain.
    We always run around the lake instead of across the middle.
    If it gets rough we are only a short ways from shore and can beach the boat if need be.
    I do love the area and spend time there every year.
    Have fun.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Crazy that USFWS would fly in on floats to tell your Dad that he shouldn't be there due to weather. Would have to think that being in a boat on white caps would fair better than being on a couple floats... We'll be in a 20' grayling so I'm more concerned on hitting a rock or being beached on the sand bar entering the lake than the lake itself. If it's ugly, we'll hang out on caribou island until it flattens out enough to make the run up the lake. I've read plenty of horror stories regarding the lake so it has my full respect....

Many years ago during a real low water time I was up at the mouth. Looking from the river out into the lake I saw a string of rocks poking out above the surface from the left side out towards the middle of the river. This is right at the mouth where the shoreline on the left makes the corner and starts to wrap around pointing towards Caribou Is. At least stay in the middle of the river the best you can or a bit to the right as you enter the lake and you should miss those rocks. I've never hit a rock there but I have churned up plenty of sand and mud....