Thread: Jim Creek * Knik Glacier observations

Smile Jim Creek * Knik Glacier observations

A friend and I decided in spite of it being the weekend we wanted to drive our 4 wheelers to the Knik Glacier yesterday. We left the bridge area about 10 AM and since I had not been there on a weekend for years, I was stunned at how many campers and rigs there were. As we headed out, there were more and more people/rigs every mile. It was amazingly dry, so the dust was far worse than the mud.

First of all, I find it amazing just how clean things are. People really seem to be cleaning up after themselves compared to the past and I was really impressed. Sure, you can find trash, but overall it was clean. Second, the crazy driving that some do was never an issue around us. People by and large were extremely friendly. We stopped and help one dad with a small child that got into the vacuum mud and he was on his way in less than five minutes. Lots of families and small kids, and that was really cool to see. There was one kind of dangerous section right on the river's edge were folks had set up an impromptu camp to help warn people of the danger.

We saw one guy, about 200 yards from the glacier, flip his machine and he went flying about 50 feet in the air. He jumped up, ran back to his machine, and with the help of his buddy flipped his machine back upright before we could even get on our machines to see if he needed help. Five minutes later he headed to the glacier on his machine.

It's great to see a place where families and riders of all skill levels can go and enjoy themselves. I hope everyone keeps up the self policing and good riding practices so we can keep this enjoyable spot open. The only negative I saw were a couple of open camp fires. There is an absolute ban on fires there right now, but at least those fires were manned. I don't think everyone really understands how dangerous a fire is in those dry areas can be. There was just an uncontrolled fire a few days ago. My guess is that if the troopers came by, anyone with a fire would get a heavy fine.

When we returned to the truck about seven hours later I bet the number of trailers, trucks, and rigs had quadrupled. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. It was a pleasure to see everyone enjoying themselves.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Yesterday was the annual knik glacier group ride and get together /bbq..... I heard it was a great turnout. That's why there were so many rigs.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Yesterday was the annual knik glacier group ride and get together /bbq..... I heard it was a great turnout. That's why there were so many rigs.
    My guess was there were at least 1000 people out and about and hundreds of vehicles... Regardless, most folks acted well :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather