Thread: Dragon Fly all UHMW Boats

Default Dragon Fly all UHMW Boats

I've known the guys at Lifewater for decades through work, and it was surprising to see that they are designing a line of boats that are made of all UHMW or a similar type material. They put a lot of hours into it over the winter and have two prototypes. I caught up with them today at the Fairbanks outdoors show. The main testing unit they have has a 3 cylinder supercharged waverunner engine and I believe their top speed was in the mid 50mph range. The second prototype is 14' long. I'm hoping they can manage to bring these into production.

I'm not marketing for them, I just wanted to show you guys a possible new product that will hopefully be coming on the market soon, and I'd like to know any thoughts you guys have. They do have a couple video's of running this winter on the Delta Clearwater.

Very cool. I wish I could find the link to some guys that did this very thing in New Zealand (I think). It was posted on BoatDesignNet a couple of years ago. I've thought about it myself, as a boat builder. Size and expense is a definite limitation.

Default Dragon Fly all UHMW Boats

I would say build one yourself for hall the cost. Here's my mini with a sea doo 4tex.
    Thing is a unbelievable in river. With reverse!

http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/s...0ftjetboat.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Mike,
    Sweet looking boat, still need to get together and check it out.
    Got Uhmw down the center?
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

The reverse bucket was removed on the UHMW boat before the show. I'd rather see the UHMW boat in an 16-18' size, and because of the shallow water capability, I'd like to have a tunnel.

I can't see wasting time or money on a 10' boat. Might as well get a jet ski.

Brian, we need to get together and go see Mike......... ASAP.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Nice looking boat Mike

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I would say build one yourself for hall the cost. Here's my mini with a sea doo 4tex.
    Thing is a unbelievable in river. With reverse!

http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/s...0ftjetboat.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I talked to the Life water guys to and checked out the plastic boats. They really are unique and sound like they are very functional. I think it there is allot more involved than just going out and building one yourself. It's takes a pretty skilled operator to weld that stuff. He said it's a very slow process (much slower than Aluminum) and uses hot air to fuse the seams. Thats some of the reasons for the $49k price tag!

I'm sure there is equipment out there that can mold the plastic into shape much faster once the templates are set. I don't think they will be able to provide a reasonable product if they plan to hand make every single boat.