Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unakwik

Default Unakwik

That should pretty much wipe out Unakwik!

ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME DIVISION OF COMMERCIAL FISHERIES NEWS RELEASE

Sam Cotten, Commissioner Scott Kelley, Director
Maria Wessel, Shellfish Management Biologist
    Phone: (907) 424-3212 Fax: (907) 424-3235
    Cordova Area Office P.O. Box 669 Cordova, Alaska 99574
    Date Issued: 4/22/16

FISHERY ANNOUNCEMENT
PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND COMMERCIAL SHRIMP POT FISHERY SECOND PERIOD OPENS
EMERGENCY ORDER 2-SF-E-03-16
    The first period of the PWS commercial shrimp pot fishery opened at 8:00 am April 15 with a guideline harvest level (GHL) of 47,061 lb, and closed at 8:00 p.m. April 21. The preliminary reported harvest from vessel call-ins is approximately 19,779 lb of whole shrimp harvested by 41 vessels with approximately 16,846 lb harvested from statistical area 476036.
    The second period of the PWS commercial shrimp pot fishery will open at 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, April 26 and will close at 8:00 p.m. Thursday, May 5. The department estimates that the 50 percent GHL harvest limit (23,530 lb) will be reached in statistical area 476036 on Friday, April 29. Therefore, statistical area 476036 will close to the commercial harvest of shrimp with pot gear at 8:00 p.m. Friday, April 29.
    Gear limits remain at a maximum of 30 shrimp pots per vessel. A vessel operator may not have more than the legal limit of pot gear in aggregate, on board the vessel or in the water at any time. Hours of gear operation remain at 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
    All participating fishermen must call the reporting line at (907) 424-7215 no earlier than 24 hours before fishing, and report the information detailed on the pre-trip information form (5 AAC 31.245(c)). Additionally, before landing shrimp, all those operating commercial shrimp pot fishery vessels must call the reporting line and report the information requested on the harvest reporting form supplied in the registration packet (5 AAC 31.245(b)).
    Other pertinent fishery regulations are listed in Chapters 31 and 39 of the 2015-2018 Statewide Commercial Shrimp, Dungeness Crab, and Miscellaneous Shellfish Fishing Regulations booklet available at department offices in Anchorage, Cordova, and Homer or at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ons.commercial. Contact ADF&G at (907) 424-3212 for further information.
    -end-

Yep, we stayed way away from area 3.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Just freaking ridiculous. Since when is raping legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

And this is how we ruin just for a small small commercial industry to try make a few bucks and push out the rec boats

At least we know how many shrimp have been harvest in the commercial fishery, and the department can get a good idea of abundance from their logs. It sounds like they keeping harvest within GHL's, or at least trying to.

We have no clue how many have been harvested in the rec fishery, and won't know for nearly a year. Even then, the estimate will only be as accurate as our harvest reports... = NOT.

Being that it would take 410 pu boats to equal the amount of commercial pressure I would doubt that the personal use fishery has an equal pressure. And since unakwik Bay has "had" good shrimp populations we can assume most if not all the commercial pressure was done here I would think that the commercial pressure in only 5 days would equal the amount of pressure the pu fleet would have done in a season, we can thank the commercial fleet for the loss of pots. Why did they even open this fishery to commercial fishing? Sadly it will end up being over fished because someone decided that the commercial fleet needed to come into this small fishery

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Being that it would take 410 pu boats to equal the amount of commercial pressure I would doubt that the personal use fishery has an equal pressure. And since unakwik Bay has "had" good shrimp populations we can assume most if not all the commercial pressure was done here I would think that the commercial pressure in only 5 days would equal the amount of pressure the pu fleet would have done in a season, we can thank the commercial fleet for the loss of pots. Why did they even open this fishery to commercial fishing? Sadly it will end up being over fished because someone decided that the commercial fleet needed to come into this small fishery

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    If all goes as planned, the commercial harvest for the season will be 40% of the total shrimp harvest, and the PU harvest will be 60% of the total harvest. That's what the management plan specifies, and how it's worked out the last few years if you believe the PU harvest results - which I don't. Both fisheries got reduced by about 20% this year - the Comm guys got it right off the top of their # allocation (because they have to report in season and fill out logbooks) while you saw a reduction in the number of pots (because we have no idea what the PU harvest is until many moons later, if ever). There was no reduction in PU season length.

The management plan also specifies that if the estimated abundance drops any further the comm guys will loose their legal raping season altogether and we'll have the shrimp all to ourselves along with the rest of southcentral. We'll lose commfish logbook data and the only indication of abundance we'll have is the handful of test pots ADFG throws out and the wildly inaccurate and agonizingly belated PU harvest reports. We should be able to overharvest for a few more years until they close the fishery completely for the foreseeable future, with no money to do abundance studies to justify reopening it. Then our shrimp pots will sit in the shed just like our calm shovels and K-bay tanner pots.

Exactly what we have all been saying all along. Gonna get out fished so why the heck have a PU and COMM fishery when we know its gonna get over fished??????????????????? I know what I would like to see go away but pretty sure all the members are of the other and they will have it there way!
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Now that they don't need any king salmon management team on the Kenai River, because they managed it to death, just maybe they moved that team to the PWS shrimp. I think they learned how to their job quicker, cause they sure are going to end this fishery quicker. I started shrimping in PWS the second year it opened, and it just got better every year. So good they decided to open it to commercial fishing. And it didn't take long for the shrimp numbers to fall. I know, its all the rec shrimpers fault. I go once or twice a year so I don't take much but it sure is fun. And thats the sad part, hundreds of local residents get enjoyment from it. Used to be the comm. guys could only take 25% of their quota from one bay, and now they can take 50%. That sounds like good management when the shrimp Numbers are falling. And I'm old enuf now I know I don't know s h i t. JUST KIDDING, EVERYBODY IS DOING A WONDERFUL JOB.

The move to 50% was not a good one IMO.

Bull,

Last year there was very little comment in opposition at the BOF meeting when they passed this. I agree I don't think it is good at all, especially for the other Zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Exactly what we have all been saying all along. Gonna get out fished so why the heck have a PU and COMM fishery when we know its gonna get over fished??????????????????? I know what I would like to see go away but pretty sure all the members are of the other and they will have it there way!
    We are not saying the same thing. You are saying it's unsustainable so why the heck share. At least you're honest. The end of my last post was sarcastic. Turns out sharing is good for everyone, leads to better resource management, and makes you a better person. This is an Alaskan resource, and it's in the best interest of Alaskans to share and keep things diverse. With a 5 month season and no harvest limit, this comm fishery isn't cramping anyone's style, unless you chose to pass up good shrimping in order to go tangle lines in the one place the comm guys CAN fish.

The commercial harvest is historically about half of the rec harvest, and is much more spread out than the rec harvest. If you are worried about Unakwik getting "raped" every three years you should be organizing a flotilla of protest for the rec fishery that pounds away at Passage Canal year after year after year.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Harvest.pdf

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good - hopefully the biomass is stable and productive and we can all get fat and happy all summer long!

K, not sure how you come up with the sharing part from my post. I do not shrimp that area and has nothing to do with that area. I am talking about the whole PWS. I just do not think it is big enough for rec and comm and will soon find that out as I can see where its going.So we might as well shut down the rec guys and let the comm guys do there business since they are managed better and the state can keep the fishery stable.
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

41 comm boats catch for 7 days fishing 30 pots each boat 19,779lbs so that averages to 482lbs per boat now divide that by 7 days the fishing period was open comes out to 68lbs per day of WHOLE shrimp. That kind of fishing don't exactly seem to me like they are killing them !! I'd bet there a plenty of guys on here that do way better per day with 4 or 5 pots.
    They should just close the season Aug 15th and get all the gear out of the water and let all the eggers spawn out. I'd bet 90% of the guys all have hunting on their minds by that time of year.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

68 * 4$ is not much $$. But I do not think many guys catch more or even close to 68 lbs per day even whole.

I think that in the not too far future they will have to limit/shorten the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    K, not sure how you come up with the sharing part from my post. I do not shrimp that area and has nothing to do with that area. I am talking about the whole PWS. I just do not think it is big enough for rec and comm and will soon find that out as I can see where its going.So we might as well shut down the rec guys and let the comm guys do there business since they are managed better and the state can keep the fishery stable.
    Sharing - amongst/between users/user groups. You don't seem to support it, and I think it's a good thing. Especially since we rec shrimpers enjoy a 5 month season with no harvest limits other than that we can only use 4 pots per boat. That's per boat. Title the dingy if it's cramping your style.

Sharing has no effect on the allowable harvest in this fishery. ADFG sets the Total Allowable Harvest, then splits it between rec/comfish 60/40 - ONLY if the abundance-based TAH is above a certain threshold which we are very close to now. If the estimated abundance drops any further or if the commfishery was eliminated, the Rec fishery will get 100% of the harvest allocation and harvest would be even less diverse. Also people without boats, davits, shrimp pots, or time on their hands would lose access to this resource.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    41 comm boats catch for 7 days fishing 30 pots each boat 19,779lbs so that averages to 482lbs per boat now divide that by 7 days the fishing period was open comes out to 68lbs per day of WHOLE shrimp. That kind of fishing don't exactly seem to me like they are killing them !! I'd bet there a plenty of guys on here that do way better per day with 4 or 5 pots.
    They should just close the season Aug 15th and get all the gear out of the water and let all the eggers spawn out. I'd bet 90% of the guys all have hunting on their minds by that time of year.
    ~20,000lbs out of the best shrimp habitat in the sound once every 3 years does not seem like a big deal when substantially more than that has been harvested out of Passage Canal every year for the last decade, despite it being less suitable shrimp habitat.

Check out the harvest numbers from the 70's/80's. This year's TAH of ~117,000lbs is nowhere near the 200,000-300,000lb harvests back then. Let's just hope our harvest reports are accurate...

Default Keep on Trucking

"I just do not think it is big enough for rec and comm and will soon find that out as I can see where its going.So we might as well shut down the rec guys and let the comm guys do there business since they are managed better and the state can keep the fishery stable."

Well that was the management approach in the 1980's, when it was just a PWS commercial fishery and it was overfished, even with the safeguards of a "stable" and "better managed" commercial fishery only. Prior to the Oil Spill, it was closed to all harvest. Took 19 years to rebuild and reopen.

Once upon a time you could also subsistence / personal use fish for crab / shrimp throughout much of PWS, Cook Inlet, Kodiak, but more often than not these fisheries "mysteriously" disappeared rather rapidly. Probably all due to global climate change, cause "stable" management regimes are so, well, stable...

Once upon a time the conservative approach to commercial harvest in any one bay was 25%. Now that conservative approach is 50%. In three years it might be 75%, and the rec pots might be ratcheted down to three or more likely two, cause you just can't trust those pesky rec folks with reporting requirements.

But with the GHL in place and quick recording times on the commercial fishery, nothing to worry about. Unless Global Warming comes into play. Then this "stable" fishery might once again "mysteriously" and "suddenly" disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    68 * 4$ is not much $$. But I do not think many guys catch more or even close to 68 lbs per day even whole.

I think that in the not too far future they will have to limit/shorten the season.

I used to catch 35-50lbs of tails a day out of 5 pots and i'm not the only one that caught that much. I've had customers tell me "had to buy another freezer for the shrimp".

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Best pull i ever had was 12 gals whole on a 3 day soak in 5 pots. I prob just suck at shrimping, but I do enjoy it.....more now with my new electrodyne and davit! I would like to see the fishery stay intact for all; however, I have lost faith in the best management system in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Best pull i ever had was 12 gals whole on a 3 day soak in 5 pots. I prob just suck at shrimping, but I do enjoy it.....more now with my new electrodyne and davit! I would like to see the fishery stay intact for all; however, I have lost faith in the best management system in the world.

Better than me, I might have pulled the 8 gallons once... More like two or three these days.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast