Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRWNBR 2016 season

Default BRWNBR 2016 season

Thought it would be interesting to post updates as my season rolls along. 15
    Hunts to do this year, first one is done and almost all wrapped
    Up! Stay tuned as time
    Passes for more updates and photos!!

Just returned got back to town from a blistering two days in the field here on Kodiak. Saw a bunch of bears, a lot
    Of crappy hides. Leaves are coming out, flowers budding, grass is green and the boats are horny!! Which is what cost this 9'6" beauty his life! Rolled him in the Barney pack midday on day two of the hunt! Seasons off
    To a good start!
    I think it was all legal, I'm gonna post
    Some pictures so you guys can tell...haha

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Ok there's the pics....Nice man. Call me, lets go fishing!!!!
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Late May hunt went slow. Spotted one grizzly we couldn't get to. Early June we attempted to do some baiting for grizzly while we had over 19 Bears hitting the baits none would come in while we sat bait. We did see one running down the trail ahead of us and a grizzly killed a moose but only returned to feed on it once in three weeks. Talk about frustrating, sitting active bait with no Bears showing is like watching a bobber while fishing in a fish hatchery!!
    Second baited hunt I changed a lot of things up and reapproached it with a fresh angle. Boom. Nailed it. Two nights sitting one bait station we had a sow and triplets frequent the baits both nights. Second night a boat and sow came in, we rocked him right there at the bait. Went 8'10", three hours later his twin brother walked in and the second client knocked him down, he rolled up and disappeared into the brush. Four hours of looking after a night of rain and we where not able to find him. Hate it when that happens, hope for the best but sometimes one gets away.
    This boat was all cut up, his eye was cut right thru his eye lids, just missing his eye and scars all over his face, a warrior of a bruin.

Master guide 212

Good looking bear, and scars are cool. Adds character.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Chicks dig scars
    Master guide 212

Day one of the clients hunt we spotted this nice boar several miles off. He disappeared into the brush shortly after and didn't come back out till five pm. We hot footed it down and across the valley and were able set up about 110 yards for some quick shooting. After about 15 minutes of some hairy searching we saw a tree shake in amongst the brush, with binoculars I could see the bear and got a few more bullets into him, he attempted to sneak outa the backside of the brush but my 416 ruger thru his spine ended that.
    We went 8'4" and had a great hide for a July bear.
    Then it started to rain, we ended up camped out soaking wet under a tarp waiting for enough light to traverse the wet rock fields the last two miles to camp. All in all, just another Alaskan adventure.
    This late July time frame is my highest success rate hunt over the years, I believe I am 10 for 11 on this time slot hunt. Blueberrys are just ripening up and the salmon are moving thru.
    We saw several small bull moose, black bears and caribou even though it was only a one day hunt!

Master guide 212

First sheep hunt for 2016...
    Was a father son hunt. Day one we hiked back thru a high pass I had seen Rams in last fall. Rain almost never let up, lots of rock slides from all the loose soil on the mtns. Coming out the backside of the pass about 500' from the bottom the dad blows his knee out. We had already spotted this ram but now our concerns where if he could walk at all, if we needed a rescue chopper, we needed to asses our medical condition and not worry about the sheep for the time being.

You can see the pass in the back right, camps is down in the bottom near the big rocks.

I doubled up packs, taking mine and the dads while he stiff legged gingerly made it down to the valley floor. We set up can and got him into dry clothes and in a tent. Then I sat out to put the ram to bed for a early morning attempt. Ram had other suicidle plans. He came off the mountains into the grass about 100' higher and a half mile from us. I got the kid outa bed and we grabbed a spotting scope and killing tools and ram over to the sheep. 350 yards a couple shots and it was done.
    We gutted it and propped it open for the night.
    Next morning the dad was feeling like he could carry a couple pounds, so he took our three sleeping bags and me and the boy loaded up with our gear and divided up the dads gear. Then I took the sheep meat and cape and the son took the horns and a bag of my clothes. So loaded with a few over 100lb we started the slow 5.5 mike trek to the nearest downhill landing area I knew of. I got the the runway first, dropped my bag and backtracked a quarter mile and took the pack off the boy, who took weight off his dad's and we rolled into our last camp sight around dinner time. It was a long three days in the field, but an Alaska adventure for sure. Stopped raining just long enough to fly out. Otherwise all the creeks and rivers were basicly at flood stage.
    Sheep went 35", double broomed. Would have been real close to 40" had he not been broken. 9yr old was my guess. Hasn't been sealed at the time of me writing this.
    Master guide 212

Rolled back in, a forum member rolled up this beautiful grizzly just a couple stones throw from the tent on his fifth day of hunting. I'll leave the story out as I think he may post it later on.
    Details...375hh, tsx, about 130 yards. Two shots, second was just insurance.
    Master guide 212

The head looks long. did you measure it?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nope. A younger bear, probably 5ish. Was a little below average on size. But dang, when they walk toward your tent with a red bow and a name tag on singing merry Christmas...well hard to say no. Lol
    Master guide 212

Sheep hunt number two was changed,
    Couldn't get into the mtns so we switched up to a backpack hunt for grizzly. Saw five grizzly and were tent bound for a couple days here and there. Finally where able to close the deal on this 8' sow at about 100 yards. Clients rifle wouldn't feed properly and as the bear tore
    Puts there at 200 yards I put two slugs into her from my 10mm pistol that helps slow her down enough for him to get his gun working. Some spot on shooting from the client dropped her.
    Master guide 212

Beautiful bear.Hope it gets a full body mount to show how nice the fur and colors are.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Rolled up the last grizz hunt of the season. Had a October one on the schedule but moved it to May in hopes of better weather/opportunities.
    Went in on atv this trip and spent seven days glassing when weather would let us, saw a few bears and we're finally able to seal the deal at last light on this 7' bear 800 yards from camp. A quick stalk and 80 yard shot....bear in the bag!

Master guide 212

Nice Jake,sure looks like a FAT bear, must have been ready for winter. How old?

Indeed a very plump bear and good looking to boot.

Not a very old bear, I would have guessed 5 or 6.

My season up north is concluded now. We had 9 hunts so far and 7 of them were successful. Two spring grizzly hunts didn't pan out like we had hoped. Both clients saw a bear but not in a position or place that we could get on them. I'm gearing up to head to Kodiak for some deer and a couple brown bear hunters as well.
    Master guide 212

Let me know when you head this way. I'm heading into South Road System for my goat tomorrow after work, should be back before the weather hits Sat night. Think the longbow will stay home this trip, haven't killed one in a few years.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

I'll be down around the 22nd or so. Will be on the rock till thanksgiving! We need to meet up and let you buy me a coke!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I'll be down around the 22nd or so. Will be on the rock till thanksgiving! We need to meet up and let you buy me a coke!
    Hey man, sounds good to me.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

First deer hunt is wrapped up. Grass is really tall and deer sightings not as common as I had hoped. Warm temperatures and the ruts not rolling very well yet. We did tag our four bucks with this father son hunt!

Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast